Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What date/day should I pay my bill??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What date/day should I pay my bill??

This always baffles me. It should be a non issue: consistently pay your bill by the due date and you'll do fine.

Well, not so fast. I pay faithfully. I really do.

But each month is a different outcome. If I pay the entire balance my score drops, if I pay the minimum, my score raises.

Note: I NEVER go beyond 30% utlztn and I'm not even talking big numbers here... the limit on my secured cap 1 card (up til last month) was only $250. Last month I got an unsolicited increase to $500 and BOOM just like that I'm in the 740's for the 1st time in my life.. assuming because my utlztn percentage went down. But every month is guesswork and a small panic attack.

Now, today's the 6th and my bill's due on the 10th; I owe like 65 bucks and I dont know how much to pay to keep my score high, nor do I know what date the bureaus take their snapshot of my activity to determine my score.... 

Can someone please tell me: 1) when is the best date to pay, 2) how much to pay, and 3) how much of a balance should I leave?

P.S. If you're going to say it doesn't matter just pay on time, then please stop typing. It DOES matter for some people and I happen to be one of them.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What date/day should I pay my bill??

Your score will drop if you don't have any revolving utilization reporting.  You said that when you pay the minimum, your score rises.  This is probably the result of letting utilization report.  Paying the statement balance and not the entire balance is what you need to do to avoid this.

If your due date is the 10th, your statement will cut days after.  Look throughout the app or even on your previous statements.  Find your statement closing date.  Unless you have an oddball creditor like US Bank, the posted balance currently on the statement closing date is what will get reported to the bureaus.  

It is recommended to not exceed 8.9% of your CL for good results so just multiply .089 by whatever your CL is on a card and that is the max you should let report.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay before due date, obviously. Leave $10 balance in play on card, and then pay THAT amount 8 days after due date.
Message 3 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This always baffles me. It should be a non issue: consistently pay your bill by the due date and you'll do fine.

But each month is a different outcome. If I pay the entire balance my score drops, if I pay the minimum, my score raises.

Note: I NEVER go beyond 30% utlztn and I'm not even talking big numbers here... the limit on my secured cap 1 card (up til last month) was only $250. Last month I got an unsolicited increase to $500 and BOOM just like that I'm in the 740's for the 1st time in my life.. assuming because my utlztn percentage went down. But every month is guesswork and a small panic attack.

Now, today's the 6th and my bill's due on the 10th; I owe like 65 bucks and I dont know how much to pay to keep my score high, nor do I know what date the bureaus take their snapshot of my activity to determine my score.... 

Can someone please tell me: 1) when is the best date to pay, 2) how much to pay, and 3) how much of a balance should I leave?

P.S. If you're going to say it doesn't matter just pay on time, then please stop typing. It DOES matter for some people and I happen to be one of them.

Its pretty simple. In general pay the full amount by the date due. If your carrying a balance resulting in interest you are doing it wrong. You should not be carrying balances. Period. Don't get confused by the idea of utilization. When your statement cuts the balance shows on the credit report. As long as you don't pay the full amount before a statement cut you will show utilization. Some low utilization will lead to a higher credit score compare to no utilization showing on your credit report. Again utilization showing  does not require carrying a balance. Don't obsess over your credit score. It goes up and it goes down. The only time to think about really optimizing a score is in preparation for an application that will be made in the very very near future. 

Specific answers to your questions 1. Pay any date after statement cut up to the due date, 2. pay the full amount due from last statement cycle 3. don't leave any outstanding balances. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Pay before due date, obviously. Leave $10 balance in play on card, and then pay THAT amount 8 days after due date.

This makes zero sense. Basically the OP will end up paying money in interest doing this unless they have a 0% apr. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just pay 3x more than what they ask, then next payday, pay it off, that is the only way to prove them you have ability to pay, so you can have better chance to get higher CLI at later time.
Message 6 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You are not providing enough information. 

1) What was your last statement date?

2) What was the amount shown on that Statement? ( the statement amount )

3) Have you added any new charges since that statement, items that did not show up on that statement but you include in the current “amount owed”?

4) Have you made any interim payments after that statement printed? Are those payments factored in to the $65?

5) Is the $65 the statement balance from the statement date, or the balance at this moment?

After you answer all those questions, ALL those questions, a clearer picture will emerge and more specific answers can be given.  Without all those answers the responses will remain generalizations. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Always pay your entire statement balance by the due date. Never pay interest by choice.

For optimum scoring, leave a small balance on one card, and let that report. Doing that will avoid the fairly substantial "all cards at zero" penalty. This balance should come from new charges rather than from the previous statement balance.

Message 8 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Utilization, for FICO scoring purposes, is based on the reporting date, which is usually (but not always) based on the statement balance. So no matter what you pay after the statement date, it's not going to affect your score. Your "due date" is irrelevant for this purpose.

Mr. A has 2 cards, each with a $1000 limit, spent $500 on each card this month, and paid in full on both cards.

Example 1: Card 1 he paid before the statement date. Card 2 he paid after the statement date, his aggregate utilization is 500/2000 = 25%

Example 2: Card 1 and Card 2 he paid after the statement date. His aggregate utilization is 1000/2000 = 50%.

Example 3: Card 1 and Card 2 he paid before the statement date. His aggregate utilization is 0/2000 = 0%.

It is best for your FICO scores to maintain individual card utilization at 28% or less, and aggregate utilization at 8.9% or less.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 10
OmarR
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This makes zero sense. Basically the OP will end up paying money in interest doing this unless they have a 0% apr. 

If the $10 balance left is from AFTER the statement closing date, than it makes sense. I believe that is what EdenL is assuming. Even then, there's no reason to pay that amount 8 days later. Just repeat after the next statement closing date.

If the entire balance is from BEFORE the statement closing date, meaning no new swipes/purchases afterwards, than you are correct.

The real issue with EdenL's advice is that by the time the due date is near, your entire balance has already reported anyways. You might as well pay the entire statement balance due. His advice, if it's an AZEO card, should be aimed towards the statement closing date, not the due date.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.