Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's causing score changes?

tag
800who
Regular Contributor

What's causing score changes?

The only thing that's changed from last month to this is 2 years LoC to 3 years, this happens frequently... I maintain the same profile, Util is always 0-1%, It's been that for three years now.. my score just bounces every month, up down, up down.. For March, April & May it was 780, June 771, Jul & Aug 784, now this.. anyone have any explanation or do I just ride the rollercoaster?
fico.png

9 REPLIES 9
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: What's causing score changes?

Looks like your Average Age may be what's keeping you up and down?!    I also noticed whenever I had my % equal to 8% or so across the board on my cards my score jumped higher than when I had them at 1% or AZEO it didn't gain as much.      Whenever I paid my payment in FULL and then added a little bit onto the card after payment to report to the statement I noticed that reflected well on my jumps too....but are you adding new things or did maybe some things fall off often?!   Or recently?!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You said your utilization is always 0%-1%.  If by 0% you mean no [reported] revolving utilization, that results in an all zero penalty, typically to the tune of 15-20 points.  That factor alone if bouncing between 0% and 1% could result in +15-20 and -15-20 fluctuations. 

Message 3 of 10
800who
Regular Contributor

I looked more in depth and in the last year, I reported 1% UTIL every single month, so I withdraw the 0% comment.

Message 4 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

How many accounts do you have; revolving, installment?

How many are reporting a balance?
Message 5 of 10
800who
Regular Contributor

is VantageScore 4.0 at all accurate?

Message 6 of 10
800who
Regular Contributor

One installment, $5k balance, 3 revolving, $0, $50, and $61

Message 7 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

^ You will be penalized points if 50% or more of your cards are reporting a balance. Look back and review your score changes vs how many are reporting a balance at certain dates; eg 1/3, 2/3, 3/3.
Message 8 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@800who wrote:

VantageScore is great for following your credit reports. However, their scores are irrelevant. FICO scores is what the majority of lenders use.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@800who wrote:

All scoring algorithms are accurate, it's just that some (like VS 4.0) aren't very meaningful/relevant because they aren't used by the majority of lenders.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.