Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will these hard pulls be removed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When will these hard pulls be removed?

I have two hard pulls on my credit reports dated 12/14/16. If I check my scores/reports on 12/15 will those both be gone? If not, when? If so, about how much of a point bump should I expect? 10-15 pts total?
Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: When will these hard pulls be removed?

Hard inquiries affect your FICO scores for the first year on your CR and drop off after two years. Any scoring bump you would have received would have happened one year after the hard pull.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!
Message 3 of 8
drmceo
Contributor

Depends on the agency when they are removed. I had 4 inquiries due to drop off my experian in November and had to dispute them as 4 days after the 2 year mark they were still on the report. After the dispute they were removed that next day. Equifax however removed them exactly on the day they were supposed to come off.

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The period of removal of inquiries from consumer credit reports is not mandated under the FCRA.

It is purely an admin decision for each CRA dependent upon when they wish to purge their database.

While two years is their current normal removal period, it can vary at the discretion of each CRA.

The CRAs maintain record of inquiries past the one year period after which FICO no longer includes inquiries in scoring.

The CRAs have the additional issue of statutory requirment to provide records of inquiries past one year, and also must be concerned with possible disputes over legitimacy of inquiries.  Thus, they retain for a longer period than is used by FICO for credit scoring purposes.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drmceo wrote:

Depends on the agency when they are removed. I had 4 inquiries due to drop off my experian in November and had to dispute them as 4 days after the 2 year mark they were still on the report. After the dispute they were removed that next day. Equifax however removed them exactly on the day they were supposed to come off.

Sounds to me like you jumped the gun with your dispute.  Experian usually removes hard inquiries on the first weekend of the 25th month after the inquiry was made (Their website clearly states 25 months).  TransUnion and Equifax usually remove inquiries on the 1st day of the 24th month.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 10.24.56 AM.png

Message 6 of 8
drmceo
Contributor

It does say 25 months but also showed the date of removal as exactly 2 years later. Why should it sit there an extra month and wait for it when I can get it removed in a few hours with a call?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

One reason would be because calling them takes time and energy.  If the inquiry was putting an upcoming application for credit at risk, then that time and energy would make a lot of sense.  But the inquiry stopped affecting your scores a long time ago. 

That's why most people don't care to get inquries removed if they are over 12 months old, and certainly when they will fall off in another few weeks.

Doesn't mean you are wrong for caring enough to call, but you seemed baffled by why someone wouldn't call or dispute.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.