cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which of the following actions builds the highest FICO score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which of the following actions builds the highest FICO score?

Which of the following situations would build the highest credit score? (Given that all other variables stay the same)

A. I get a credit card and never use it.

B. I get a credit card and use it once, but pay it off the same day without ever accruing interest.

C. I get a credit card and use it regularly, but always pay it off immediately without ever accruing interest.

D. None of the above. They would all yield the same credit score.

Basically, I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to keep using my credit card and paying it off immediately thinking that it will boost my score, when I could just leave it in my wallet and never use it if the mere fact of me having it (but not using it) is better for my score.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Which of the following actions builds the highest FICO score?

So do you not have any credit cards right now?  If so, then you should get one to improve your scores but...

Not using the card or never allowing it to report a balance actually results in a FICO scoring penalty for 'no revolving credit usage' anywhere from 5-20 points, depending on profile.  You need to report a balance each month for optimal scoring but that balance should be less than 9% of the corresponding credit limit so not to lose points for high utilization - given you'll only have the one card contributing to available credit.

There is no need to pay off purchases immediately in order to avoid interest.  Unless otherwise stated by the card issuer (generally sub-prime/poor credit issuers), there is a 25-30 day grace period on purchases before interest begins to accrue. 

So, use your card, let it report, and pay in full by the due date and you'll get the FICO  benefit of showing use while never paying interest. 

Welcome to the forum.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beautiful, thank you! That's exactly what I neeeded to know. I had been using my credit card regularly but had been paying it off before any credit could be reported. Now I know to let it report but to make sure it's less than 9% of the credit limit, and of course, pay it on time. Thanks again!

Ryan

Message 3 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Beautiful, thank you! That's exactly what I neeeded to know. I had been using my credit card regularly but had been paying it off before any credit could be reported. Now I know to let it report but to make sure it's less than 9% of the credit limit, and of course, pay it on time. Thanks again!

Ryan

The optimal practice for scoring is to let all but one of your cards report zero balances, while one bankcard posts a small balance before you pay it off.

If you don't use a card, it will eventually be closed by the lender.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see. So you're just saying to rotate which card posts a balance that month, while the rest have zero balances, and you give each card a turn to post a small balance so that none of them close while getting the most optimal score?

Ryan

Message 5 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I see. So you're just saying to rotate which card posts a balance that month, while the rest have zero balances, and you give each card a turn to post a small balance so that none of them close while getting the most optimal score?

Ryan

Well I do try to use each card every month. But that has nothing to do with what balance I would let report. The scoring is based on what balance reports, not on what use you made of the card prior to the balance reporting.

Message 6 of 22
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ryan

That is one option, yes. But I believe what @SouthJamaica is basically saying is to make sure all cards get regular use. However, you can use the same one every month as the one that reports a balance.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 22
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous how many credit cards do you actually have? Your initial post read as though you only had one card, but your recent responses indicate you have more than one.  Some clarification is needed for more specific guidance. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have more than one card, yes. I have some department store cards, a personal credit card, and a business credit card. I was just trying to simplifiy my question to isolate the piece of knowledge I was after. From one of the responses, I was under the impression that if you don't use a card, then they close it. So if I only ever use one of my cards to report a balance, then wouldn't my other cards eventually get closed? I obviously have these cards for different reasons - I use my personal credit card to make grocercy store and personal purchases so I can get money back, and I use the business card when I make purchases for my business. So I'm going to be using all of the cards anyway. I guess I was just confused about the principle of only reporting money on one of the cards versing using all of them.

Message 9 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do have more than one card, yes. I have some department store cards, a personal credit card, and a business credit card. I was just trying to simplifiy my question to isolate the piece of knowledge I was after. From one of the responses, I was under the impression that if you don't use a card, then they close it. So if I only ever use one of my cards to report a balance, then wouldn't my other cards eventually get closed? I obviously have these cards for different reasons - I use my personal credit card to make grocercy store and personal purchases so I can get money back, and I use the business card when I make purchases for my business. So I'm going to be using all of the cards anyway. I guess I was just confused about the principle of only reporting money on one of the cards versing using all of them.

You keep mixing apples and oranges. Using the card is one thing. Reporting a balance on it is another. If you spend $500 on a card, and then pay it off before the reporting date, your reported balance is zero.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.