Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which would improve my score better?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which would improve my score better?

I have 10 credit cards with $30K available credit.  I currently owe $12K on all the cards combined, which puts me at 37% total usage.  I have the ability to pay down my cards by $5000, but I am not sure the best way to utilize the funds, but I would like to do whatever improves my FICO score the most.  Should I:

1.  Pay off cards lowest balance to highest balance? 

2.  Pay off cards from highest balance to lowest balance?  
3.  Pay off cards with highest APR and work down to those with lowest APR?

4.  Pay something down on all the cards?

One creditor told me it's okay to carry a balance on all cards, as long as I'm below 30% total usage.  Another credit told me it's better if some of the cards have a $0 balance while carrying my total usage on the other 5 cards.  

Thank you all for any suggestions you can make.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Which would improve my score better?

Welcome, @Anonymous. Smiley Happy

There are three ingredients involved with the revolving portion of one's score:

• Overall utilization
  • Individual card utilization
  • Number/percentage of cards reporting positive balances

The good news is that overall utilization is the most important, and all plans of attack will address it similarly. Individual card utilization is determined by the card with the highest utilization.

The ideal situation for number/percentage of cards with positive balances is to have positive balances on less than half of your cards. Some say that less than a third is better. Other than the fact that a single maxed out card will clobber your score, it's unclear whether individual card utilization or number/percentage of cards reporting balances is more significant.

Note that "under 30%" actually means 28.9% or below. That's because 29.000000001% rounds up to 30, and you'll no longer be "under 30%." If under 30% is a goal and you're paying interest, you'll want to pay down balances to 25% or so to keep the next month's interest charge from bringing you over 28.9%.

General advice to start with is to bring all card balances down to the 85% range. That should keep them below 88.9%, which is considered maxed. For us to give you suggestions beyond that, it'd be helpful if you'd list your cards, their balances, and their limits. That way, we'd be in a better position to determine if it's more practical to bring some balances to zero or to attack your cards relatively equally.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your prompt response.  These are all the cards my husband and I have (Name - Limit - Balance). If you had $10K to pay things off/down, what is the best way to pay things off/down to improve our FICO scores? 

Amex - $9000 - $3800
Barclay #1 - $1400 - $812
Barclay #2 - $3910 - $1100 

Capital One #1 - $4000 - $2430
Capital One #2 - $4000 - $900

Capital One #3 - $3900 - $1070

Capital One #4 - $2000 - $400
Chase Freedom - $5000 - $3506

Chase Slate - $500 - $160
Discover #1 - $6900 - $4016

Discover #2 - $4800 - $2850
US Bank - $600 - $175
Walmart - $2400 - $1913

Wells Fargo - $2000 - $770

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm confused, first post said have $5k to pay down and owe $12k. Second post says have $10k to pay down and owe $23.5k. 

Are you currently using all cards? Are there some 'old' balances and some you use on a regular basis? I ask because there's not much point to say to pay down $X to a card that's going to get $x charged right back to it. You know? 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my original message, I was only speaking of my cards.  The second message combined my husband's and my cards.  What I posted are the accurate figures.  I want to know the best way to go, so I can pay things down and ship the cards to the moon if I have to, to keep from using them.

Message 5 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I think that around $11,000 would take all of your cards to 27% or lower, but you'd need to double-check the math. 25% utilization on each card would be safer in order to keep interest from bringing balances back up over 28.9%, but it doesn't appear that you have the funds to do that right now.

It's hard to tell how eliminating balances completely might help because we don't know which cards are yours and which are your husband's. But given that all of your cards appear to have balances, it's probably a better scoring bet to bring them all below the 28.9% threshold.

One last question. Do you have any important credit applications coming up? If you don't, it might be better to attack the cards with the highest interest rates first. Scoring advantages would be delayed, but you'd be saving some money.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I created a google doc demonstrating just one strategy: getting each card utilization, thus overall utilization below 30%. I did the following:

• Sorted by credit utilization by card and found overall utilization
  • Found what payment it would take to get each card to 28% (preventing each card from being rounded up to 30% utilization)
  • Recalculated your new balance by card, new utilization by card, overall balance, and overall utilization

Looks like you'll need 189.20 more than 10k to get everything to 28%. 

Hope this helps!

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousIn my original message, I was only speaking of my cards.  The second message combined my husband's and my cards.  What I posted are the accurate figures.  I want to know the best way to go, so I can pay things down and ship the cards to the moon if I have to, to keep from using them.

For the purposes of this exercies, you cannot combine your cards and his cards together.  You each have your own credit report and your own credit scores, not combined reports/scores.  If your goal is to raise your scores, you need to list just the accounts associated with your report.  If the goal is to raise both of your scores, you'd have to list out the accounts present on your report and then his report, as you both would have different accounts to target/tackle in order to see the best score increases.

Message 8 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I have 10 credit cards with $30K available credit.  I currently owe $12K on all the cards combined, which puts me at 37% total usage.  I have the ability to pay down my cards by $5000, but I am not sure the best way to utilize the funds, but I would like to do whatever improves my FICO score the most.  Should I:

1.  Pay off cards lowest balance to highest balance? 

2.  Pay off cards from highest balance to lowest balance?  
3.  Pay off cards with highest APR and work down to those with lowest APR?

4.  Pay something down on all the cards?

One creditor told me it's okay to carry a balance on all cards, as long as I'm below 30% total usage.  Another credit told me it's better if some of the cards have a $0 balance while carrying my total usage on the other 5 cards.  

Thank you all for any suggestions you can make.

Items 1, 2, and 3 have to do with getting out of debt but have nothing to do with score improvement.

In order to advise you on score improvement we'd need to know the limits and balances on all your cards.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

For the purposes of this exercies, you cannot combine your cards and his cards together.  You each have your own credit report and your own credit scores, not combined reports/scores.  If your goal is to raise your scores, you need to list just the accounts associated with your report.  If the goal is to raise both of your scores, you'd have to list out the accounts present on your report and then his report, as you both would have different accounts to target/tackle in order to see the best score increases.

Yeah, we can come up with what it would take to bring balances down below 28.9% (or as I mentioned, a bit below that for a safety valve). But we can't consider the number/percentage of accounts reporting positive balances without separating the cards.

@Anonymous, how flexible is your budget? You've mentioned a couple of different payment amounts. We don't know if those numbers amount to money you can pay right now or if you're just looking for some examples.

As I mentioned, I like the idea of getting accounts safely below 28.9%, e.g. 24–25%. I used 27% above because it appears that you can do that with not much more than the 10K you mentioned. I think it'd be more like 13–14K to get into the 24–25% range.

With the information at hand, I think a reasonable step one would be to get all accounts safely below 28.9%. Step two would be to keep them there and to start knocking off the lowest balances. With more info, a different plan of attack might look better. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.