cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Do the Credit Bureaus NOT Return the Points They Remove When Something is Placed on Your Credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why Do the Credit Bureaus NOT Return the Points They Remove When Something is Placed on Your Credit?

Hello.  I had something placed on my credit in July 2021 in error.  My scores were well over 700 except for Experian which seems to never add the same amount of points as the other 2 bureaus.  All the bureaus took away so many points.  I disputed the item and the item was removed; however, I did NOT get my points returned that were taken.  That is something that needs to change, especially when something is disputed and the result is in your favor.  Whatever the bureaus take they should return.  What are your thoughts on that?  Experian gave me 7 points after removing the item that should have never appeared on my report.

I am not happy, since this has affected ALL of my scores tremendously!!

Signed these Bureaus are a gimmick and do NOT work on behalf of the consumer.  These bureaus work for these businesses.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Why Do the Credit Bureaus NOT Return the Points They Remove When Something is Placed on Your Cre

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello.  I had something placed on my credit in July 2021 in error.  My scores were well over 700 except for Experian which seems to never add the same amount of points as the other 2 bureaus.  All the bureaus took away so many points.  I disputed the item and the item was removed; however, I did NOT get my points returned that were taken.  That is something that needs to change, especially when something is disputed and the result is in your favor.  Whatever the bureaus take they should return.  What are your thoughts on that?  Experian gave me 7 points after removing the item that should have never appeared on my report.

Signed these Bureaus are a gimmick and do NOT work on behalf of the consumer.  These bureaus work for these businesses.

My gut tells me you need to give it time; if the dispute is finalized in your favor, your points will be returned.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why Do the Credit Bureaus NOT Return the Points They Remove When Something is Placed on Your Cre

@Anonymous wrote:

The History of Credit

Correct.  Credit bureaus exist to service the needs of lenders and other financial institutions.  Are you proposing that we go back to the old days when lenders interviewed your neighbors and co-workers before deciding whether to lend to you?

Message 3 of 20
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Your FICO score is calculated at a specific time based on what's showing on your reports at that moment.  

Factors that drive scoring like revolving utilization, AAoA are almost never the same from one month to another so it is unlikely you'd see a score drop correlate to an identical increase later as other items on your reports have changed.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 20
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The History of Credit

Correct.  Credit bureaus exist to service the needs of lenders and other financial institutions.  Are you proposing that we go back to the old days when lenders interviewed your neighbors and co-workers before deciding whether to lend to you?

No, but it would be nice if your history with a lender carried more weight like it used to. Today it's all about algorithms. A 20 year history with many of these lenders now doesn't mean squat because if you accidentally forgot a single payment with another lender you're now a high default risk.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 1 c.c. and 1 car note which is paid on time.  We'll see if it increases.  I wanted my original points back.  They are quick to take the points and not quick to return the same amount that was taken.  Thanks for the feedback.  

Message 6 of 20
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 1 c.c. and 1 car note which is paid on time.  We'll see if it increases.  I wanted my original points back.  They are quick to take the points and not quick to return the same amount that was taken.  Thanks for the feedback.  

If you're looking for a return on Fico 8, it will happen. I had an INQ removed from Ex Fico 8 and I got 6 pts back, other Fico score I have not and find this SHADY, especially when it comes to Mortgage scores not gaining pts back.

Message 7 of 20
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It looks like part of the challenge you have with your scores is only having one credit card; the collective here has reported quite extensively you need at least 3 "revolvers" for maximum FICO bonus points.  Taking that one step further, my gut tells me your scores wouldn't have suffered as much from the event you originally reported if you'd had at least three credit cards.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 8 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1. The credit bureaus don't give and take away points. They merely report data.

2. The scores are based on algorithms using the data from the bureaus. The algorithms assign the points based on the data present at the time the report is pulled. Whoever pulls the report data and applies the algorithms is determining your scores.

3. If an item is changed and then changed back, the net change to one's scores would be zero. 

4. The only possible way to determine how many points lost or gained are attributable to a certain item of data is to compare the report from the day before the change, and the report of the day of the change, and if you are lucky enough to have only one item differing from the previous day, you'll have your answer.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I understand your frustration. I've felt the same way when I've forgotten to pay off one of my cards before the balance would report and the threshold is higher than what it usually is. I've lost points but it doesn't seem like I've regained just as many when I paid it back down. Tbh- I've never spent time comparing my reports @SouthJamaica recommended so I don't really know for sure. 

I try not to get too frustrated with credit anymore and not sweat small score fluctuations-but it definitely it a process to get there. It also helps once your score has a little wiggle room. 

Also- I noticed some of the other members who responded---not all of them- had somewhat condescending tones to their responses. I recommend you ignore that and just get all of the good information you can to improve your credit. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.