cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Hasnt my score changed drastically in 3 Years?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why Hasnt my score changed drastically in 3 Years?

In April 2013, I hit rough times and had accounts go into collections, a car repo'd, and a few charge-offs.  

I didnt really bother with credit until August of 2014 when I applied for an apartment and was denied and realized I had to get my stuff together. In December of 2014 I got a secured Wells Fargo credit card with FICOs around 580.  I worked hard hitting this forum and sent out letters to the lenders requesting them to remove the negative accounts and the late payments.  I was fairly successful and to this day only have 1 collection that has since been paid in full reporting from  May 2013 and a 90 day late payment from April 2013. 

Since I opened that Wells Fargo card in December of 2014 I have a spotless credit report. No late payments, nothing at all.  I currently have 2 inquiries reporting on all three reports. Utilization of $140,000 in credit is at 1% with only $700 reporting (0% promo). Average age of accounts is almost to 3 years. I feel like its not a terrible report, I know it has the murky stuff from 5 years ago, but you couldnt ask for a better report with my recent history.

Despite the perfect past 4 years, my  scores have really stayed the same.  Ive gone from a 580 FICO to just a 664.  I checked my Discover Scorecard and noticed this time last year I was at a 663.  One point in a full year. On my Amex FICO score, I went from 666 to 664. Down 2 points, only thing that could have caused this was my only installment loan I had closed.  

I see some others on here with similar stories but they go from low 500s to the mid 700s in a year what am I doing wrong?

My wife had a 30 day late payment report in 2016 and her scores dropped from a 730 to a 670 and in a year she was already back up to the 720s.

Is the collection from 2013 and the 90 day late really affecting me that bad? My scores have really stayed around 660 for two full years with nothing but positive reporting on my reports.  What should I do differently to break that 700 mark.

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why Hasnt my score changed drastically in 3 Years?

90 day derogortories are major from a penalty standpoint. Will follow you for full 7 years. I haven’t seen many if any go from 500’s to mid 700’s within a year. But it is possible depending on their profile. They could have had stuff falling off their report within that year.

Also I wouldn’t consider 580 to 660’s nothing. That’s 80 points and from what you describe you had a lot of negative going on.
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
90 day derogortories are major from a penalty standpoint. Will follow you for full 7 years. I haven’t seen many if any go from 500’s to mid 700’s within a year. But it is possible depending on their profile. They could have had stuff falling off their report within that year.

Also I wouldn’t consider 580 to 660’s nothing. That’s 80 points and from what you describe you had a lot of negative going on.

But its still normal to be at the 660s for over two years now?

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the collection from 2013 and the 90 day late really affecting me that bad?

Based on the age of your file, yes.  You mentioned your AAoA being about 3 years... what about your AoOA? 

Just 1 major negative item (you have 2) is enough to keep scores down 80 points or so for a full 7 years.  If you were to remove those 2 negatives, your scores would likely land in the 740's and be in a solid place.  In order for someone to possess good scores (say 740) with the presence of major negative items, they must have a very thick/aged file.  I had 2 accounts that were dirty, one with a 90 day late and another with a 120 day late and my scores topped out in the 751-768 range, but that's because my AoOA was about 15 years and my AAoA was about 6 years, along with > 20 accounts on my CR and everything else being ideal (utilization, open installment loan, no inquiries, etc.)

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oldest account is 8 Years

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many revolvers do you have and any open installment loans?
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open revolving lines- 10

No open installment loans, I had one but it closed this February and score drop was about ~15 points

Message 7 of 22
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

I'm going to say Bravo to you for getting your scores up that high.  I too, was in the mental doldrums credit-wise until this site reminded me my starting credit score was 421.  I didn't think under 500 was easily achievable, but there I was.  I would suggest going to a peer lending site like LendingClub and applying for a basic $2500 loan.  Checking your rate is a soft pull.  And see what happens.  If you are denied, the letter to your email will give you things to focus on.  If you are approved, you don't HAVE to accept the loan, OR, you could accept it and pay it off with the proceeds or stash it in an emergency account.

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bottom line here is that score change is directly related to profile change(s).  Dramatic score change = dramatic profile change [risk assessment].  Small score change = small profile change.  No score change = no profile change.  OP, if your scores haven't changed much in 3 years it simply means that your profile overall hasn't changed much over that span of time.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the 5 year old negatives are what’s holding me back still? Basically whenever they go the score will stop being stagnant?
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.