cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my Equifax score go up 41 points and Transunion only 11 for personal record removal

tag
Gardnevd
New Visitor

Why did my Equifax score go up 41 points and Transunion only 11 for personal record removal

I just opened  a new credit card account and had a bankruptcy removed. EQUIFAX gave me 41 points for the bankruptcy removal and deducted 11 for the new credit card account which left my score at 591. Tansunion only credited me 11 pts. for a bankruptcy removal and deducted 34 points for the new credit card account which left my score at 534 . Something definitely doesnt feel right about how these  points can have such a big gap in the difference. Also, how can Transunion only credit 11 points for a bankruptcy removal, I would expect that to have a much higher impact on my score than that. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Why did my Equifax score go up 41 points and Transunion only 11 for personal record removal

@Gardnevd wrote:

I just opened  a new credit card account and had a bankruptcy removed. EQUIFAX gave me 41 points for the bankruptcy removal and deducted 11 for the new credit card account which left my score at 591. Tansunion only credited me 11 pts. for a bankruptcy removal and deducted 34 points for the new credit card account which left my score at 534 . Something definitely doesnt feel right about how these  points can have such a big gap in the difference. Also, how can Transunion only credit 11 points for a bankruptcy removal, I would expect that to have a much higher impact on my score than that. 

I don't know how you could possibly know how many points were added for removal of a bankruptcy or deducted for a new credit card account.

I wonder where you're getting your (a) scores and (b) data from.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 2 of 11
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why did my Equifax score go up 41 points and Transunion only 11 for personal record removal

Welcome to the forums.

There's no way to know "how many points" a change on a credit report will impact your score unless you can completely isolate the change. Which is pretty much impossible. You can't trust alerts from CMS as they are not dependable.

Keep in mind that a credit score is a snapshot and gives you the score at that exact moment. You can check again the next day and the score could be different with nothing changed that you see, but your accounts aged over a threshhold.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 3 of 11
Gardnevd
New Visitor

Well I use a credit monitoring app from Credit Karma which actually breaks down every change that occurs to my credit and what affected my score. So  it shows me who did what and how many pounts were added and how many were deducted.its been consistent with every change that has occurred on my credit so I trust that the information is accurate. It is a very handy. I also verify it a second time with the Creditwise credit monitoring app which is through Capital One. 

Message 4 of 11
Gardnevd
New Visitor

That is false because there are tools out there that are created to give consumers this data andbive never had a problem with my information matching up with my credit monitoring app that show ke exactly what changes affected my score.  So I disagree with your statement.  The credit bureaus like to pretend that these tools aren't reliable because it gives rhe consumer too much insight as ti how they handle our information and our credit scores which allows us to hold  them more accountable. Do your research first. 

Message 5 of 11
Gardnevd
New Visitor

Message 6 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Gardnevd wrote:

Well I use a credit monitoring app from Credit Karma which actually breaks down every change that occurs to my credit and what affected my score. So  it shows me who did what and how many pounts were added and how many were deducted.its been consistent with every change that has occurred on my credit so I trust that the information is accurate. It is a very handy. I also verify it a second time with the Creditwise credit monitoring app which is through Capital One. 

Except Credit Karma and Capital One CreditWise both give a Vantage 3.0 score (hence why they match each other), which is nowhere near the same as FICO. Vantage scores are far more volatile and furthermore, the algorithm is very different. If you want true insight into your actual FICO scores (which is what lenders *actually* use), you need to get your scores from either here (MyFICO), Experian/CreditCheckTotal, or credit.com.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 11
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

@Gardnevd wrote:

This is a very common misconception. Credit Monitoring Services (CMS) are incredibly popular. The free ones (like Credit Karma) are giving you Vantage Score, which is useless as a score for any lending decision. You need your FICO scores in order to understand what the lenders are looking at to evaluate you as a risk. Even at that, depending on what credit you are applying for, there will be a different version of FICO that they are using. You can pay for FICO CMS if you so choose. BUT

One thing common for any CMS is that you will find inconsistent behaviors and you cannot correlate an alert with a specific score change. Sometimes, it seems to work out and looks logical. However, sometimes your score will change with no alert or an alert will be positive with your score going down, get a negative alert and your score goes up. You can cruise these forums and see countless examples of inaccurate credit monitoring services alerts.

The best thing you can do is track your credit profiles through annual credit reports where you can get free FULL credit reports from all the bureaus. That is the best way to ensure that your profile is accurate. Sites like Credit Karma are predatory, they are always going to make you think that applying for credit will "help your score".

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 8 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Gardnevd wrote:

The credit report data on Credit Karma is generally accurate.

The scores are Vantage scores, rather than FICO scores. I personally have no understanding of Vantage score changes. They seem fairly random to me.

I've been using Credit Karma for probably 9 or 10 years. I'm aware that it tells you your current Vantage score. And I'm aware that it gives you a list of recent changes in the report data.  But I'm not aware of any part of it that connects a score change to a particular data change. If you can point me to that, I would appreciate it. 

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 9 of 11
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@Gardnevd Equifax is tough to deal with and if they increased your score . . . accept it and don't contact them!!! Smiley Wink

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.