Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't FICO score public?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why isn't FICO score public?

I just don't get it. An agency collections and reports information without your approval, and creditors use a secretive score to determine how much interest you pay for your credit, which can means $100s to $100s of $1000s of dollars to YOU.

Yet you cannot know the precise scoring methodology so that you can modify your credit behavior to generate a score to provide yourself with the best possible rates? Yet the Creditors know the game inside and out and use to to drive your scores down and charge you more interest.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Why isn't FICO score public?

nyccc2 wrote:
I just don't get it. An agency collections and reports information without your approval, and creditors use a secretive score to determine how much interest you pay for your credit, which can means $100s to $100s of $1000s of dollars to YOU.

Yet you cannot know the precise scoring methodology so that you can modify your credit behavior to generate a score to provide yourself with the best possible rates? Yet the Creditors know the game inside and out and use to to drive your scores down and charge you more interest.

Well, at least Fair Isaac provides us with this forum to share what few nuggets of info we have managed to glean during our travails!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Amen, MV. Let's not forget that capitalism, which I love, is alive and well. TINSTAAFL.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

ByrdMan wrote:
Amen, MV. Let's not forget that capitalism, which I love, is alive and well. TINSTAAFL.

What means "TINSTAAFL"?
Message 4 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I know it as TANSTAAFL, There Ain't No Such Thing as a Free Lunch, from The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, a classic sci-fi novel from the 60's. Rugged individualism in a moon colony, and a lot of provocative what-ifs on limited government.

Can't remember if it was this one or another book that featured a guy sealing an air leak in a tunnel with his bare butt while playing chess.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, that's it. I don't remember the book or anything, but I remember reading it in some financial book years ago. I tried to use There is no such...Oh well. Thanks again Haulin' for bailing my butt out.

Message 6 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I have a great memory for weird and useless things. but it occasionally hiccups on minor items like paying bills. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I have that same knack for useless sports trivia and useless knowledge in general. I usually do incredibly well at Jeopardy in my living room. Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

ByrdMan wrote:
I have that same knack for useless sports trivia and useless knowledge in general. I usually do incredibly well at Jeopardy in my living room. Smiley Tongue

doo doo DOO doo doo DOO DOO

doo doo DOO DOO do ....

do do do do do
Message 9 of 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

doo doo DOO doo doo DOO DOO

doo doo DOO DOO do ....

do do do do do

LOL. Yes, I drive my children crazy with it. They keep saying that I ought to go on one of those game shows (Jeopardy, Millionaire, Are you Smarter than a fifth grader?, etc.) to make us millionaires.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.