Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why, oh Why?

tag
poops
Contributor

Why, oh Why?

Judgment fell off my EQ FICO report last week. I was waiting to see a score bump. Instead, my score went down from 691 to 678. The only other change to my CR was that my utilization went up 2%. Is that really enough to drag down my score by 13 pts?

A new negative score factor also appeared saying that I have 2 consumer finance accounts. That wasn't on there when I checked my report 2 months ago... And, I have not opened up any new accounts. No new accounts and no new inquiries. I haven't had any inquiries for almost 2 years. My utilization is the only thing that's killing my score...

I don't understand... If I had hair to pull out, I would!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Why, oh Why?

What is your %util showing now ?  It is certainly possible that increased utlization could lower your score like this.

The "consumer finance" factor is one of those factors that FICO throws out when it doesn't have any other factors to ding you, IMO.

Also, you may have be "rebuckted" ~ so you might initially lose a few points, but you will be able to achieve a higher score now, so that is a good thing....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aw. Hate when that happens.

If that was your only judgment/pr etc., and it fell off, you probably got rebucketed.

That means you're being compared to a new group of folks - kinda like going from the "low" reading group to the "average" reading group (or some such).

So your competition is a bit stiffer.

The good news is that rebucketing often means a new score range with a higher upper end is now available to you.  Gotta love that.

The reason codes change, then, too.  You probably lost the reason code for having the judgment.  So the next one down on the list pops up into view.  The 2 consumer finance accounts it notes have been there all along, not necessarily recently opened.

When your utilization went up by 2%, what was it before and what is it now?  Sometimes you can jump over a "boundary" and it can make a difference.  Or you can have more accounts reporting a balance - that can change scores sometimes as well. 

Congrats on that judgment falling off!

Message 3 of 13
poops
Contributor

My utilization 2 months ago was 39%. My utilization last week was 41%. Had some home improvement work and an adoption that we decided to put on 0% credit cards. My goal is to get the util down to <10% by the Summer.

Can someone provide some more info about rebucketing...? Maybe gimme a link to do some reading... Thanks!

Message 4 of 13
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I feel your misery.  When my judgment was removed, I got THREE LOUSY POINTS.  Which I guess is better than your case in the short term, but at least hopefully you got rebucketed.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 13
IOBA
Senior Contributor

AAofA  buckets

0-3 yrs

3-5 yrs

5-8 yrs

8-12 yrs

12+ yrs

Source - Experian

Message 6 of 13
IOBA
Senior Contributor

When you get AAoA rebucketed, it means your AAofA has moved from one category to the next.  Now you are at the bottom of the bucket being compared to other consumers in that same bucket.   

What happens for most people is the longer they are in that bucket, the more their score goes up.  

When the move to the next bucket, their FICO score may drop as you are at the bottom of the bucket. 

Cycle repeats.

With FICO, nothing is for sure, but this is what we suspect is really happening.

Message 7 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Not all your negatives display, especially here.

On a lender's pull, like a mortgage pull, it will display the top four negatives, if you have negatives.

Here on myFICO, it displays fewer and fewer the higher you go, essentially because the lower they rank, the less effect they have on your score.

I'd say that the consumer finance account ding was there all along, and when the judgment fell off, it now displays. It's not a new negative, just a newly-displayed negative.

The combination of now being in a "clean" score bucket (score card), plus possibly a ding from crossing the 40% util mark might have done it. People with clean histories often see a higher penalty for high util, and 41% is definitely high.

When you pulled your new score, what were the negatives, listed in order, on screen 2 on the left? (The positives are nice for warm fuzzies, but they're otherwise pretty meaningless.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 13
poops
Contributor

According to the FICO EQ CR I pulled on 11/29/11, my AAoA was 12 yrs. When I last pulled my FICO EQ CR, 1/11/12, it was still listed as 12 yrs... My score was higher on 11/29/11 with a judgment still being listed. On 1/11/12, the judgment had been removed and my score had decreased by 13 points. As I mentioned above, the only difference was an increase in utilization of 2%.

Is there another rebucketing category besides AAoA?

Message 9 of 13
poops
Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Not all your negatives display, especially here.

On a lender's pull, like a mortgage pull, it will display the top four negatives, if you have negatives.

Here on myFICO, it displays fewer and fewer the higher you go, essentially because the lower they rank, the less effect they have on your score.

I'd say that the consumer finance account ding was there all along, and when the judgment fell off, it now displays. It's not a new negative, just a newly-displayed negative.

The combination of now being in a "clean" score bucket (score card), plus possibly a ding from crossing the 40% util mark might have done it. People with clean histories often see a higher penalty for high util, and 41% is definitely high.

When you pulled your new score, what were the negatives, listed in order, on screen 2 on the left? (The positives are nice for warm fuzzies, but they're otherwise pretty meaningless.)

1. Heavy use of available revolving credit

2. Recently missed payment (30 day late from 10/2010)

3. Too many CC'c carrying balances

4. Have consumer finance account

Also, when I pulled my EQ CR from FICO on 11/29/11, the judgment was listed as the #1 reason my score was what it was... Logically, I thought that once the judgment was removed, my score would get a nice upward bump... Smiley Mad

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.