Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why such a big difference?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why such a big difference?

Thanks everyone for all the reponses. I looked at my 3B report more carefully and the FICO 9 scores were a lot closer in range to each other and my TU score dropped by about 10 points. I also noticed that after Capital One gave me a cli that my TU score got the biggest bump from that increase (+17) than the other bureaus(+7). I think I understand things a little better now.
Message 11 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

SJ,

As you say, the increased INQs on EX could be depressing that score relative to TU. 

What could account for TU being higher than EQ is CRA tweaking. EQ penalizes more than TU or EX for # accounts with balances. Also, EQ having a lower AAoA than TU may adversely influence EQ relative to TU. What is your the AAoA difference?

P.S. How do your Fico 9 scores stack up?

Good questions.

1. As to EQ penalizing for # accounts with balances, I doubt that's a factor here because the 30 point spread persists at all levels of the utilization spectrum, even where there was only 1 account with a balance.

2. I'm sure the AAoA error in EQ does count, because one of the missing cards is an old card going back 30 years, my 2nd oldest card. Its absence accounts for a 6-month difference in AAoA. (Lest you think I was dumb to close it, I never did close it; it was a co-branded card switched to another lender.)

3. Consistent with your advice that FICO 9 doesn't give bureaus the same latitude for tweaking that FICO 8 offers, the 30-point TU bonus doesn't exist in my FICO 9 scores; they are usually on an even keel.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my FICO scorecard / bucket - AoOA 1 year, no derogatories, no public records, 1 installment loan at 8.47% util, no revolving accounts - I observed the following just recently (December 31, 2018 myFICO Ultimate 3B+ monthly):

• 20 point drop on Equifax from 750 to 730 due to 1 new inquiry, where there were no prior inquiries
  • 19 point drop on Experian from 748 to 729 due to 1 new inquiry, where there were no prior inquiries
  • Transunion at 728 with 2 inquiries - both of these inquiries do not show on EQ/EX, and the EQ/EX inquiry does not show here on TU, so there was no change

FICO 8 Scores:  EQ 730, EX 729, TU 728

FICO 9 Scores:  EQ 698, EX 697, TU 709

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

19-20 point drops for a single inquiry have got to be some of the biggest drops I've heard of.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

19-20 point drops for a single inquiry have got to be some of the biggest drops I've heard of.

I don't see a lot of posts from people with no revolving accounts on their report, so that seems a likely reason. I've already used one of my newly approved credit cards. The other one hasn't shown up in the mail yet.

The next drop in score will be when that installment loan shows up as closed any day now. I'll have nothing but a few HP's on my report. Want to guess the hit I will take there? I'm guessing I won't even be able to get a library card with that new score. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.