Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my FICO scores go down?

tag
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Will my FICO scores go down?

I pai off the balance on my car loan to free up the payment amount in order to snowball my other debt.  Will losing the installment loan balance hurt my FICO scores? I have a mortgage. I saw somewhere that mix of credit needed one or the other.  Could someone give me a better understanding of how this works?

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Will my FICO scores go down?

@crunching_numbers wrote:

I pai off the balance on my car loan to free up the payment amount in order to snowball my other debt.  Will losing the installment loan balance hurt my FICO scores? I have a mortgage. I saw somewhere that mix of credit needed one or the other.  Could someone give me a better understanding of how this works?

Both your mortgage and auto loan count as installment loans and contribute positively towards your mix of credit so you won't the mix by paying off your auto loan.

Also your installment loan balances don't factor significantly into FICO scoring, so paying it off shouldn't have a big impact on your score.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.