Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this help my credit score?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Will this help my credit score?

I have an account that was charged off in 2004.  It was a car loan that I cosigned for.   I recently settled the account. The account is still with the original creditor.  The  creditor agreed to list the account as 'Paid' and Close with $0 balance.  I was told nothing else will be listed.  What will that do to my credit score?  It is currently in the low 700's.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Will this help my credit score?

This should help the score go up. How much is hard to say. The debt you settled was five years old roughly. How many points that was impacting your score is hard t say.
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

IMHO, no, it wont help.

Paying accounts helps in a manual review, and forcloses the possibility of legal action.  I also forclosed the possibility that they would then refer it to a CA, which would have entered another ding to your CR.

But as for current scoring, FICO does not score paid accounts with any more favor than upaid.

Message 3 of 7
DI
Super Contributor

If the balance goes to $0 after the CO is paid, will that not help the score increase?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:
I have an account that was charged off in 2004.  It was a car loan that I cosigned for.   I recently settled the account. The account is still with the original creditor.  The  creditor agreed to list the account as 'Paid' and Close with $0 balance.  I was told nothing else will be listed.  What will that do to my credit score?  It is currently in the low 700's.

If this means all derogs (lates, CO, etc) are removed and the account shows "Paid" and $0 balance, then yes this will help.

If you end up with "Paid" but remarked as settled or paid after charge off, then it won't help much, if at all in FICO.

From your description, it sort of sounds like the OC is agreeing to a GW upon payment, which if so, then this is a good thing for your FICO and credit in general. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may or may not help but good luck anyways

edited to remove image --gawwad, please do not insert non-Lithium images.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 06-01-2009 04:59 AM
Message 6 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Let add a little more to my first post. As delinquent accounts like collections and charge offs get older their impact on your score dimishes over time.  Depending on the rest of the credit history how much the removal this negative information on this account will help your score.
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.