Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fico scoring - 5 tricky questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

fico scoring - 5 tricky questions

Hey you are all great! I've been Forum browsing and learning a ton!
THANK YOU ALL for your contributions! I do have a few specific questions:

1. my EQ=774, EX=772, TU=757.
Why is TU 15-17 pts lower based on basically the same info?

The TU 'what's hurting...' tells me I have 'too many credit accts' but this cannot be the reason, bc TU reports LESS total accts (20, to EX 24, EQ 21).
The only significant accts not on TU are 2 Cashcall loans (both $10k, both PIF, both closed Jul/Nov '05). Do the EX & EQ formulas give me a boost based on positive credit history of a closed acct? Is it possible to add this acct to TU? (Even though more accts is the opposite of what TU tells me to do.)
(subquestion: can I improve FICO by getting my apt rent history added to my CR's, or is that an internet myth? How do I do that?)

Back to the point--the only other difference on TU is 3 inquiries by Discover in the last 12 mos (not on others). Are these costing me 5 pts apiece?
These were made by Disco without my consent. I have 2 Disco CC's (1 personal, 1 business) but I didn't app for an increase on either last yr. However, the Disco Biz card was frozen last yr due to 'too much revolving debt on other accts'.

Can Disco make hard inq's without my permission pretty much whenever they want to, with no real impetus other than to look for a reason to raise my APR or freeze me? is this legal? do I have any recourse? is there any way to get these removed? (either via TU or Disco?)

2. By contrast, EX 'what's hurting...' tells me I have a 'consumer finance acct'.
Is this the aforementioned Cashcall?
It is listed as an installment loan, I can't find anything listed as 'consumer finance'. It is also on EQ, which makes no mention of it hurting me. Is there a score advantage to disputing/removing if they get no verification within 30 days? Or will that hurt my score based on lost positive history?
I am baffled--it seems the same item is hurting me on EX, while the lack of it is hurting me on TU...does anyone understand?

3. I see people talking about a magical 1 percent. Is it better to keep a 1 percent revolving bal on some CC's than 0 bal?
I have 11 CC's with 0 bal's, 3 CC's under 30 percent. In short, will it improve my score to pay these 3 down to 1 percent or to pay off completely?

4. Will it improve score to call and increase limits on existing accts (esp older ones)? Or will that hurt me because now I have more available credit? Is it possible to get increases without hard inq's? What language do i use when requesting?

5. This last one might be obvious to some, but i am a newbie, so forgive me...
Does it matter to FICO if I reduce or increase bal's on installment accts?

I have $42k student loan, $14k Citi personal loan, $10k auto lease, $8k medical loan. Does it improve score if I pay more than the min pmt each mo./payoff early? Does it hurt score if I re-up $14k Citi loan to $25k? (they sent a letter offering to re-up at the same APR--this could give me cash to payoff the CC's)

THANK YOU for your kind attention and time! Freedom to all! Nighthawk

Message Edited by Nighthawk on 03-02-2008 01:22 AM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: fico scoring - 5 tricky questions

Welcome to the FICO forums!

Wow, lots of questions...let's see how many answers I can knock out.  Since you have a lot of questions, I'm going to answer them directly in your post.  My answers in red.

Nighthawk wrote:
1. my EQ=774, EX=772, TU=757.
Why is TU 15-17 pts lower based on basically the same info?
All the CRAs use a slightly different scoring model.  Even if all the reports had the exact same info, you could expect your scores to be somewhat different.  When it's "basically the same info," as you put it, a 15 point difference is not out of the question.

The TU 'what's hurting...' tells me I have 'too many credit accts' but this cannot be the reason, bc TU reports LESS total accts (20, to EX 24, EQ 21).

TU's model is more picky about having a high overall number of accounts than the others are.

The only significant accts not on TU are 2 Cashcall loans (both $10k, both PIF, both closed Jul/Nov '05). Do the EX & EQ formulas give me a boost based on positive credit history of a closed acct?  Yes.  All three of them do.

Is it possible to add this acct to TU? (Even though more accts is the opposite of what TU tells me to do.)  Maybe, if the creditor is willing to report it.  However, think about whether you really want these particular accounts added to TU.  See below.

(subquestion: can I improve FICO by getting my apt rent history added to my CR's, or is that an internet myth? Probably not.  It depends on whether the rental company reports.  If your rental history is with private landlords, then the answer is almost certainly no.  How do I do that?)

Back to the point--the only other difference on TU is 3 inquiries by Discover in the last 12 mos (not on others). Are these costing me 5 pts apiece?  They very well could be.  This is not an insignificant difference among the three.  Inquiries hurt more when your scores are high, as yours are.  (As a matter of fact, any negative item will have a greater effect on a high score than it will on a fair or low score.)

These were made by Disco without my consent. I have 2 Disco CC's (1 personal, 1 business) but I didn't app for an increase on either last yr. However, the Disco Biz card was frozen last yr due to 'too much revolving debt on other accts'.

Can Disco make hard inq's without my permission pretty much whenever they want to, with no real impetus other than to look for a reason to raise my APR or freeze me? Yes.  If you have an open account with them, they have permissible purpose to pull your reports whenever they want.  Others may have different opinions on whether they have PP to pull a HARD inquiry for no apparent reason, but I maintain that they do.  is this legal? Yes.  do I have any recourse? Unfortunately, no.  is there any way to get these removed? (either via TU or Disco?)  There are ways to get them removed, but discussing them here would violate the site's TOS.

2. By contrast, EX 'what's hurting...' tells me I have a 'consumer finance acct'.
Is this the aforementioned Cashcall?  Most likely.
It is listed as an installment loan, I can't find anything listed as 'consumer finance'. It is also on EQ, which makes no mention of it hurting me. The "what's hurting" section only shows the top three items that are hurting your score.  Just because it's not listed on EQ doesn't mean it's not hurting; it just means it's not in the top three. Is there a score advantage to disputing/removing if they get no verification within 30 days? Probably not.  If the loan has no late payments associated with it, then the positive history associated with it is probably helping you more than the CFL designation is hurting you.  (The CFL designation only hurts a very little bit.)  Or will that hurt my score based on lost positive history?  Probably.
I am baffled--it seems the same item is hurting me on EX, while the lack of it is hurting me on TU...does anyone understand?  Your TU score is most likely lower due to the inquiries, not due to the absence of this account.

3. I see people talking about a magical 1 percent. Is it better to keep a 1 percent revolving bal on some CC's than 0 bal? Yes.  You get a point boost for allowing a balance of 1-9% report on fewer than half of your accounts.  1% is the magic number for maximum FICO points.
I have 11 CC's with 0 bal's, 3 CC's under 30 percent. In short, will it improve my score to pay these 3 down to 1 percent or to pay off completely?  Ideally, let at least one but no more than five report a balance of 1-9%.

4. Will it improve score to call and increase limits on existing accts (esp older ones)? Yes, if it helps your utilization.  When your CLs go up and your balances remain the same, your utilization goes down (as long as your utilization is not already very low).  It doesn't matter if you get CLIs on older or newer accounts, as they all count the same for the purposes of this calculation.  Or will that hurt me because now I have more available credit? Having more available credit never hurts your FICO.  It may hurt temporarily if you get that new credit through a brand new account, but getting a CLI on an existing account will never hurt. Is it possible to get increases without hard inq's? Yes, depending on the lender.  Many lenders will only pull softs, some only pull hards, some don't pull at all, and some are a crapshoot.  What language do i use when requesting?  Say you would like a credit limit increase but you want to make sure to avoid a hard inquiry if possible.

5. This last one might be obvious to some, but i am a newbie, so forgive me...
Does it matter to FICO if I reduce or increase bal's on installment accts?
Yes, although not very much.  Revolving accounts (credit cards and the like) count for a MUCH larger portion of the utilization calculation than installment accounts.  Keep in mind that paying off an installment loan may actually cause your score to go down when the final payment reports.
I have $42k student loan, $14k Citi personal loan, $10k auto lease, $8k medical loan. Does it improve score if I pay more than the min pmt each mo./payoff early? No, although it may make financial sense to do that so you will save interest.  Does it hurt score if I re-up $14k Citi loan to $25k? (they sent a letter offering to re-up at the same APR--this could give me cash to payoff the CC's) Maybe, but not much.  Again, installment loans are such a small piece of this particular part of the puzzle.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Wow. Great Job Cheddar....
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sure Nighthawk  knows he/she has excellent credit- 

Being that close to 800 without a mortgage is an accomplishment by itself.  
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Awesome. THANK YOU CHEDDAR!!!

Really thorough and easy to understand answers to what I know were lengthy questions.

This helps me a tremendous amount! Both as strategic insight, and in terms of 'peace of mind' that I am approaching this the right way.

I am looking to buy a house (as an income property) and so I am trying to get FICO as high as possible.

If I haven't exceeded my quota, my only follow up questions are:

1) Will a mortgage then improve or decrease my FICO? (as I also plan to apply for corporate credit via my corporation this year, but they always ask for FICO and a personal guarantee as well--I am wondering should I pursue the corporate credit or the home loan first? Or at the same time? Does it even matter?)

2) I understand and respect that you cannot violate the site's TOS, but now I am curious. If there are ways to remove hard inq's, is there a website or some other source of info you could direct me to, which would explain it? (without violating TOS of course)

THANK YOU KINDLY again for your time and help!

PS. Timothy, thank you, and yes I know these are good scores, the only way I got them there was usage and payment on a lot of accounts, over the last 5 years.
Nighthawk
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Happy to help.  And yes, as Timothy mentioned, I should have also mentioned that your scores are VERY good.

Nighthawk wrote:

1) Will a mortgage then improve or decrease my FICO? (as I also plan to apply for corporate credit via my corporation this year, but they always ask for FICO and a personal guarantee as well--I am wondering should I pursue the corporate credit or the home loan first? Or at the same time? Does it even matter?)

Having a mortgage will help, especially on TU.  (TU loves to see mortgages.)  It is generally advised not to apply for any new credit within 6-12 months of mortgage shopping.  Also, getting the new corporate credit account will mean a new inquiry and a reaging of your file (decreasing your average age of accounts), both of which will temporarily depress your score.  Get the mortgage first, then apply for more credit you need after you close.

Nighthawk wrote:

2) I understand and respect that you cannot violate the site's TOS, but now I am curious. If there are ways to remove hard inq's, is there a website or some other source of info you could direct me to, which would explain it? (without violating TOS of course)

I apologize for even bringing that up and piquing your curiosity.  Suffice it to say that with scores like yours, you really shouldn't sweat having a couple of inquiries.  Your TU score is about 15 points lower than your middle score probably because of three inquiries, but with that score, those 15 points are not that significant.  You'll still be able to get the best rates available.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool. THANK YOU CHEDDAR!!! I really appreciate all your help on these!

Nighthawk
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.