cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finessing the score -- is zero balance or nominal balance better ??

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

finessing the score -- is zero balance or nominal balance better ??

Greetings -

I have three cards, with $5K, $6K and $10k limits and a decade of clean payment history.

From a FICO scoring perspective, assuming that I'm regularly paying in full on a monthly basis,

does it much matter whether one, two or all three of the cards have zero balances or nominal

(under 5% utilization) balances?

And from a practical keeping-the-issuer happy perspective, might it be best to rotate card use

(i.e. - January use Amex, February use Visa, March use MC ...) and, if so, would that adversely

impact the FICO score?

Thanks.

Message Edited by expatCanuck on 01-26-2010 10:25 AM

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: finessing the score -- zero balance or nominal balance ??

From a FICO perspective, it would likely be best to have only one of your cards show a small balance and to have zero balances on the other two cards.

I don't rotate the use on my cards. I use the card where I will get the highest reward for the category (gas, groceries, airline, etc.). I use my nonreward cards by having one small monthly charge (Netflix, book club, etc.) post to them, and then I pay them off right away.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.