Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how will student loans impact my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how will student loans impact my score?

hey guys, i was looking at my reports recently and my equifax is 50-60 points lower than my TU and EXP. EQ is 618 while the others a 663 and 683 respectively. its looking like one of the reasons is the amount of accounts i have. i have 4 CC's to the amount of 9000 -  my current utilization is 76%, all of which are being paid in full this week. im guessing that after these are paid in full my score will increase quite a bit. the thing that worries me is my student loans. i have about 75k in student loans, all through sallie mae. i will be consolidating soon, but there are 8 of these loans listed on my report. could the amount of accounts due to the loans hurt my score that much? EQ is the only one that lists this as hurting my score. i also have 2 missed payments on my citi card from 2 years ago. i was thinking if writing a GW letter and including payment in full, or sending the letter after i have paid the account off. im just trying to shed some light on the differences in my reports. thanks for the advice.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how will student loans impact my score?

Yes- getting the revolving balances down will help a bunch-

The SL's have little effect on the score except if you are late- these loans will consolidate to two loans- make sure you check you current and new APR's. They use a "weighted Avg"

The GW letters are a good plan.

@Anonymous wrote:
hey guys, i was looking at my reports recently and my equifax is 50-60 points lower than my TU and EXP. EQ is 618 while the others a 663 and 683 respectively. its looking like one of the reasons is the amount of accounts i have. i have 4 CC's to the amount of 9000 - my current utilization is 76%, all of which are being paid in full this week. im guessing that after these are paid in full my score will increase quite a bit. the thing that worries me is my student loans. i have about 75k in student loans, all through sallie mae. i will be consolidating soon, but there are 8 of these loans listed on my report. could the amount of accounts due to the loans hurt my score that much? EQ is the only one that lists this as hurting my score. i also have 2 missed payments on my citi card from 2 years ago. i was thinking if writing a GW letter and including payment in full, or sending the letter after i have paid the account off. im just trying to shed some light on the differences in my reports. thanks for the advice.

Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: how will student loans impact my score?

EQ hates lates. Check my sig line below --they're my only baddies, and even with identical credit reports, you can see the difference. Keep sending GW's until they surrender!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.