Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this 0% or 1%???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

is this 0% or 1%???

fico-wise, is $8 balance on a $5000 CL 0% or 1%? 

i know, mathematically it's 0.16%. just trying to maximize fico for an app - zero balance all except 1.

thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: is this 0% or 1%???

@Anonymous wrote:

fico-wise, is $8 balance on a $5000 CL 0% or 1%? 

i know, mathematically it's 0.16%. just trying to maximize fico for an app - zero balance all except 1.

thanks in advance! 

It will be < 1% on your credit reports.  So why not bring it to a $50 balance which is 1% of the $5,000?  Is that too much? Are all your others cards reporting a zero balance?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, kinda too much. lolz (maximizing reward categories)

as of the moment they are not reporting all zero. 3 of 8 are reporting. less than 2% total U.

i was gonna leave my BBR with its needed balance to report and the rest would be zeroed out before an app. i was hoping that the $8 balance would be considered as rounded to 1% instead of another 0%.

hmmm do i really need a minimum of $50 on that 5k limit card? *5k is my lowest limit card. i thought any amount greater than $0 would be considered/rounded to 1%. i guess i must have misunderstood it.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

as of the moment they are not reporting all zero. 3 of 8 are reporting. less than 2% total U.

i was gonna leave my BBR with its needed balance to report and the rest would be zeroed out before an app. i was hoping that the $8 balance would be considered as rounded to 1% instead of another 0%.

hmmm do i really need a minimum of $50 on that 5k limit card? *5k is my lowest limit card. i thought any amount greater than $0 would be considered/rounded to 1%. i guess i must have misunderstood it.

If you already have cards reporting balances, then there is no need to leave any balance on this card if you don't have to...

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you already have cards reporting balances, then there is no need to leave any balance on this card if you don't have to...

thanks but this card is the BoA BBR card where it is needed to report a balance to get the QT bonus. =p

i was trying to see if i zero all my other cards except for this BBR with $8 balance would suffice for maximizing fico.

i guess i might have to charge something more on this BBR after all!?! 

Message 5 of 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks but this card is the BoA BBR card where it is needed to report a balance to get the QT bonus. =p

i was trying to see if i zero all my other cards except for this BBR with $8 balance would suffice for maximizing fico.

i guess i might have to charge something more on this BBR after all!?! 

You are being overly restrictive in your balance reporting. An aggregate utilization of 4% should be no worse points wise (Fico models) compared to an aggregate utilization of 0.5%. Also, given your profile, it is likely reporting a balance on 2 of 8 would not drop your score relative to 1 of 8 - test it.

No need to cramp your style unnecessarily.

Side note 1: VantageScore 3.0 actually scores me higher with utilization in the 3% to 4% range relative to a 1% to 2% range by about 5 points. No change in Fico 08 score. 

Side note 2: Data from Inverse suggests Fico 08 gave him a few points when he dropped aggregate utilization from the 7% to 9% range to the 5% to 6% range. However, no further point gain dropping down to the 2% to 3% range. [Clarification - his file was dirty at the time and clean files may weigh utilization differently]

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

There's some minor shifts reported for people at small utilization, to be fair many datapoints aren't controlled and as such it's a little hard to say: "ah ha!"

I've never found any difference at anything >$0, the caveat is some lenders will round something like $2 and lower down to $0 to save money in not generating a statement but sitting at well below 1% personally now ($20/8400) and scores haven't budged vs a higher utilization ($334).  I'll retry the test again next month for giggles and also since like TT I'm curious about Vantage where I've taken a small drop recently, but I would suggest anyone that cares enough about a few points to test it on their individual files as people have found differences and as such YMMV.

        
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i see. thanks for all the clarifications! i appreciate it a LOT!  im newb and learning my ways! =) 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.