Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myFICO and Equifax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

myFICO and Equifax

I have recently applied for a car loan through my bank, which has finally brought my attention to all the ins-and-outs of credit reports and scoring.  My problem though is that the bank came back and said my Equifax score was really low.  I purchased my Equifax score directly from Equifax, then purchased the Equifax FICO score here at myfico.com.  They are radically different, with the score directly from Equifax being the higher score.  Why would the FICO score differ from the one calculated directly by the credit bureau itself?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: myFICO and Equifax

The credit bureaus try to use their own scoring algorithms to save money by not paying for FICO.  These alternate formulas sometimes have similar results and sometimes drastically different.  When a bank is checking your credit, however, they usually are using a FICO score.

EDIT:  as a side note, there is an option to purchase your FICO directly from the Equifax site.  You just have to explicitly pay for that option.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: myFICO and Equifax

@Anonymous wrote:

I have recently applied for a car loan through my bank, which has finally brought my attention to all the ins-and-outs of credit reports and scoring.  My problem though is that the bank came back and said my Equifax score was really low.  I purchased my Equifax score directly from Equifax, then purchased the Equifax FICO score here at myfico.com.  They are radically different, with the score directly from Equifax being the higher score.  Why would the FICO score differ from the one calculated directly by the credit bureau itself?

You need to confirm what type of score the bank pulled.   It might be an Auto Enhanced FICO score, or possibly a newer or older FICO version than what is sold here at MyFICO, which is the EQ Classic FICO04 Score.

The score you bought from EQ was very likely their Equifax credit score, which is a FAKO score.    You can purchase a FICO score directly from Equifax, and it is the exact same version sold here at MyFICO.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.