Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying Jointly Questions

tag
betterdays2011
Contributor

Applying Jointly Questions

How does it work when you are applying jointly for a car loan with respect to credit scores, etc.  We need to replace a vehicle totalled in an accident as soon as I am mobile, probably in the next couple weeks.  My credit scores ragneg between 700 and 710.  My husband's credit scores are higher than mine -in the 720s.  But I make more than twice his salary and our DTI is high (41%).  Lightstream declined us when we applied jointly.  NFCU declined me (assuming it is a DTI issue and maybe credit score).  Yesterday, my husband received a preapproval letter for an auto loan from NFCU.  

I am not sure what to do.  He can't apply alone because his DTI will be too high (I would think) but whatever NFCUs issue is with me could torpedo the whole thing.  Thoughts?  We are putting $16K down on a vehicle that will range in porce from $22-$28K.  This is the exact wrong time for us to be taking out more crediti so I am trying to figure out a way to maybe come up with more cash.  So frustrating but we need a car.  Any insight would be very appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fury1995
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying Jointly Questions

@betterdays2011 wrote:

How does it work when you are applying jointly for a car loan with respect to credit scores, etc.  We need to replace a vehicle totalled in an accident as soon as I am mobile, probably in the next couple weeks.  My credit scores ragneg between 700 and 710.  My husband's credit scores are higher than mine -in the 720s.  But I make more than twice his salary and our DTI is high (41%).  Lightstream declined us when we applied jointly.  NFCU declined me (assuming it is a DTI issue and maybe credit score).  Yesterday, my husband received a preapproval letter for an auto loan from NFCU.  

I am not sure what to do.  He can't apply alone because his DTI will be too high (I would think) but whatever NFCUs issue is with me could torpedo the whole thing.  Thoughts?  We are putting $16K down on a vehicle that will range in porce from $22-$28K.  This is the exact wrong time for us to be taking out more crediti so I am trying to figure out a way to maybe come up with more cash.  So frustrating but we need a car.  Any insight would be very appreciated.  Thanks.

Honestly, check the dealer. Wth 700 + scores for both applicants and decent income, they should get you multiple approvals.

Is this for a new car? There may be subvened (special rate) financing available via the manufacture. The qualifier is usually 700 or better.

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying Jointly Questions

I just responded at the other post.  It might be easiest to do a deal with a dealer then seek financing with NFCU once you have the vehicle.  You have plenty of time from when you buy the car till you can finance it as new with another lender.  You have great scores and lots to put down so a dealer will get you financed. Just don't be afraid to push them hard to lower the interest and if it isnt what you want try NFCU.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.