Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car lease with co signer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car lease with co signer

Hi everyone. I'm 21 yo and moved to States about a year ago and one of my friends helped me to lease a car. The lease is under her name since I haven't got my DL and SSN at the time, but I was the only one driving it and making payments. I always make payments on time (paid $8 late fee once - simply forgot that the check is in my wallet). So now when i obtained all the documents I want to start building my credit. Is it possible to add me to lease agreement with my SSN number so it will affect my credit score as well? I heard, that if we do so, it will affect both of our scores in a good way at the same time. Is that true?

Appreciate any response/advice

Thank you

-O

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Car lease with co signer

It is best to have your friend the co-signer call the company and ask this question.  I am sure that all creditors don't have identical policies.  I suspect you need to establish some credit on your own before you can do anything so stop by the rebuilding section and see what they suggest.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I highly doubt you will be able to just add your name to the lease agreement to start building your credit, lender's don't typically change contractual agreements mid-way through a loan to add someone to it.

In fact, If your friend financed/leased this vehicle in only their name for your purposes of driving and paying the payment, I would avoid informing the lender of this, as it was a "straw-purchase"

Straw purchases are when a person finances a vehicle for someone else's use, with the intent that they are making the payment and not the actual debtor. It is a big no-no in the banking/lending world and most bank's prohibit it.

When does your lease end? if it is relativley soon then I would start preparing your credit in order to release a vehicle or finance a vehicle directly afterward's with a co-signer if you need it. Get some credit card's, and maybe a small installment loan to build your credit.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if I will take over the lease? Will it change the amount of monthly payment?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.