Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sigh- starting to get mediocre preapprovals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

sigh- starting to get mediocre preapprovals

I'm aggressively paying down my terrible 15.98% loan. I was at about 15k in February and am just a hair over 11k now. I should be able to pay off within a year.

I got an Open Road Lending preapproval trying to get me to refi. Doesn't seem worth it with how far I am along in my loan payments and reviews I've read of them.

I also got a Cap One Auto Finance for a preapproval up to 35k with a local dealer. Again, not looking to get stuck with a high interest loan and get behind on something.

Sticking to the original plan- get out from under this loan within a year and a half and then keep making those huge payments (I'm paying around 900 a month at least) into savings to build up cash toward a vehicle in a few years. It's good to be getting stuff in the mail, but I'm at that awkward part where they are trying to entice me in the middle of my rebuild.

I know, I know, someone's reply will be DCU. I'm on Chex for a couple more years so that isn't an option. Riding it out. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Re: sigh- starting to get mediocre preapprovals

Why can't you shortern the term and drop the interest rate and still pay the same amount you are now only faster? You will be paying less interest which would drop the total loan amount down by quite a bit, especially from 15% down to say 6.99%.

Before going "Meh" or Sigh, use this - http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-loan-calculator.aspx

Refi makes sense.....

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a repo on my file too. Only sub prime lenders and will only shave off a little.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also LTV is another concern. A Ford Focus from 2013 isn't great for holding value. :/

Maybe in a few months
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.