Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Employment

One of my accts that is included in my bankruptcy is  financed where I work.  Can they terminate my employment.The amount is unsecured for $2500.00 HELP
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Employment

I had a cooperate AMEX card that was included in my BK and I never had anyone from work question me about it. I think the card was associated with the company but was my financial responsibility though.

Did you have to apply for the card in your name or did they just put you as an authorized user to a company card?

Message Edited by DillPickel on 01-30-2008 06:18 PM
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its actually a credit reserve tied to my checking acct. They deduct so much a month from my acct to make the monthly payment. But with bankruptcy that will be wiped away. I work at the same finanical instution. I asked the atty if that could be left out due to thats my employer. He said "NO" So I didn't know if there was some kind of rule where they can terminate me for that?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

ahhhhh

man thats a tough one.
Message 4 of 10
rizeninme
New Contributor

You should check and see if there is anything in your Employee Manual regarding that- if you work at a financial institution, then it may be a possibility that you could be fired. You might want to just bite the bullet and talk to your boss about this- it will be better hearing from you what is going on then getting a letter from the court- you might be able to work something out where they take a little out of your check each payday to repay the debt.
Message 5 of 10
kilogram
Established Member

IMO that may be a debt you want to reaffirm...
Message 6 of 10
granny031350
Established Contributor

You might need to alert your supervisor ahead of the fact and ask them about what to do so they are not blindsighted by your filing. 
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, they cannot fire you. You HAVE to include that debt...it's all or nothing when you file. But you are protected from losing your job due to bankruptcy. But just because they can't cite that particular reason for letting you go, they can always trump something up, or give no reason at all. But chances are they won't fire you since the situation would look too suspicious and they would open themselves up to a possible lawsuit. I would NOT mention this to your supervisor...if anything, talk to HR. It is your personal business and your supervisor has no right to know.
Message 8 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Depending upon what your position is, insolvency is not a good thing when working for a financial institution. I would check the EM. If nothing there, I would go to HR and definitely consider reaffirming the debt. This is a sticky situation seeing as though you work for a financial institution.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
MyFico_704
Regular Contributor

Just wanted to follow up and see what happened with this?  Are you still employed at the company? 

I know that there's a code that protects ppl from being fired from an employer if you file bankruptcy.  I too have a 14k cc debt with BoA..also happens to be my employer!  I'm definately NOT telling my manager about my bk filing.

Would this be the series of events::

File bankruptcy to include the employer cc debt.  CC department notifies HR..and HR puts a "hold" or "restriction" on your advancement or ability to internally post to another group.  If you leave the company...probably impossible to come back?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.