Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to get amazon store card with a bankruptcy

tag
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: trying to get amazon store card with a bankruptcy

I got a $700 Amazon card 6 months after discharge.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 11 of 29
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I got a pre approval pop-up this weekend when shopping. Took the bait and got $2700. I have been discharged for nine months. Didn't burn amazon in my BK but burned GE/SYNC for quite a bit.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 12 of 29
Scupra
Super Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:
I got a pre approval pop-up this weekend when shopping. Took the bait and got $2700. I have been discharged for nine months. Didn't burn amazon in my BK but burned GE/SYNC for quite a bit.

Congrats Redsox! Nice approval amount

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 13 of 29
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Do they still offer the $25 credit to open an Amazon store card? That's when I bit last April, during checkout they offered a $25 credit against my $45 order if I opened an account. They only gave me a $1100 CL, but I already had a Walmart store card also from Synchrony w/$2700 CL (opened the WM card when they had a in-store promo of $25 credit w/$100+ purchase). I only used the Amazon account a few times and closed it last month, I just rarely buy from Amazon anymore, and if I do I'd rather pay with Cap One or Barclay CC & get 1% back.

Message 14 of 29
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

I've been shopping on Amazon for years and have never seen a pop up option?  Also I agree with the post about getting rewards, now I have the Sallie Mae so I get 5% CB at Amazon.com so no need for the store card anymore I guess. 

Message 15 of 29
bunga7
Regular Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

I was glad to see this. I burned GE/Sync bad as well. I did recently get a Walmart Card 1 yr post discharge. It seems llike that is Sync too. I think they are fairly forgiving.

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 29
Scupra
Super Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Do they still offer the $25 credit to open an Amazon store card? That's when I bit last April, during checkout they offered a $25 credit against my $45 order if I opened an account. They only gave me a $1100 CL, but I already had a Walmart store card also from Synchrony w/$2700 CL (opened the WM card when they had a in-store promo of $25 credit w/$100+ purchase). I only used the Amazon account a few times and closed it last month, I just rarely buy from Amazon anymore, and if I do I'd rather pay with Cap One or Barclay CC & get 1% back.

I think the account credit is targeted.. When I apped I received a $40 credit on my account. Amazon card has no AF, Sync cards def grow with you and you can't beat the 6 12 and 24 month 0% financing offers. I don't really see a down side to the card. Unless you have a bunch of retail/store cards already or are stuck in toy card limit hell.

At the least I would have thrown the card in my SD and waited for them to cancel. Why not pad your AAoA?

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 17 of 29
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Scupra wrote:I think the account credit is targeted.. When I apped I received a $40 credit on my account. Amazon card has no AF, Sync cards def grow with you and you can't beat the 6 12 and 24 month 0% financing offers. I don't really see a down side to the card. Unless you have a bunch of retail/store cards already or are stuck in toy card limit hell.

At the least I would have thrown the card in my SD and waited for them to cancel. Why not pad your AAoA?

0% financing is always nice, but I never use Amazon for large purchases, once they started charging sales tax in AZ most brick & mortar stores are just as price competitive and for something like a new TV I'd rather have it in hand rather then wait for AMZ to ship. As it was only 7 months old it actually hurt my AAoA, not help it, and I'm hoping Synchrony will be more willing to raise the CR on my Walmart card without the AMZ account. And I didn't think they would cancel, I was afraid they'd do what TD Bank did with my Target Red Card when I tossed it in the SD - lower the CR down to $200, so that even a $25 shoe purchase puts me over 10% utilization. But I stuck with the Target card as it's old enough to help my AAoA and gets me a 5% discount & free shipping w/no minimum $, while the AMZ card does none of that.

Message 18 of 29
Scupra
Super Contributor

Sync isn't big on limit decreases thankfully. That's why there is so many cards though, what's works for one doesn't work for all. I want all cards at or above $5k and with a starting limit of $2.2k I don't think it will take long. I hate that they opened the shipping center in AZ!!! Dang taxes!
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 19 of 29
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Oh, Amazon has had a fulfillment center in PHX for many years, they recently expanded it to 3 million sq. ft. But they played the game of putting it under the ownership & control of a shell co. so they could still claim they didn't have a physical presence in AZ. But the state hit them with a huge back tax bill & they settled & startered collecting sale tax in early 2013. I didn't really mind as most of my online purchases are from companies with stores & charge sales tax (BestBuy.com, Target, etc.).

Yeah, I want all my cards with a CL high enough that normal monthly purchases of $300-500 are comfortably under 10% utilization. But that's MC/Visa, I use store cards less & less as all my MC/Visa cards have nice reward programs.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.