cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Card, No Credit History. No Baddies. No Inquiries. Nothing :-)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Card, No Credit History. No Baddies. No Inquiries. Nothing :-)

Just curious. For a young 18yr old, just starting out.... are their any cards worth applying for, as a first unsecured card?

Store Cards, maybe? I was thinking something along the lines of Lowes maybe? or Sears? Are their any Visa Cards worth looking at? Smiley Happy 

I apprecaite any advice. I'd really like to start off first with a un-secured card, and I'd greatly apprecaite any ideas, or options worth considering. 

Thank You Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Card, No Credit History. No Baddies. No Inquiries. Nothing :-)

@Anonymous wrote:

Just curious. For a young 18yr old, just starting out.... are their any cards worth applying for, as a first unsecured card?

Store Cards, maybe? I was thinking something along the lines of Lowes maybe? or Sears? Are their any Visa Cards worth looking at? Smiley Happy 

I apprecaite any advice. I'd really like to start off first with a un-secured card, and I'd greatly apprecaite any ideas, or options worth considering. 

Thank You Smiley Happy 

Capital One Journey.

Message 2 of 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

do have scores yet?

are you an AU or any CC? Car loan reporting??
Message 3 of 16
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

Find a secured card that graduates. Capital One secured card does not graduate. BofA, Wells Fargo, Citi, U.S. Bank, are all prime lenders that will graduate their products. Finding a Credit Union may also be a possibility. I would recommend staying away from the likes of Verve, Credit One, Merrick, First Premier, since you have no baddies, just no credit. You will definitely get offers from them as months pass, don't get tempted!

Secured is the safest route. When I was rebuilding, I got 3 secured from the start and it helped me get where I am now, it only took 2 years. But I was recovering from a lot of baddies. Good luck in your journey!

MyFico Secured Card List

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 4 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Someone recently got American Express Everyday with no credit score.

Capital One Journey is good start

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe a student card from discover.
Message 6 of 16
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Are you a student? If so, definitely check out student cards (Discover, Cap1 Journey, etc). 

If not, secured might be the route you will have to go (just look as it as a start, we all have to start somewhere! Smiley Happy) SDFCU will give you a secured card with no hard pull on your credit and will report to all 3 bureaus. It will not graduate but it's a good start and you don't have to worry about the loan-shark like ones like First Premier, Credit One, etc. Also check out Bank of America's secured card (does graduate and can get rewards with it) or Capital1 (does not graduate but a good start and it'll be easy to get some of their unsecured cards as well).

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beyond Discover It & Capital One Journey, are their really any cards worth looking at (un-secured). I really don't wanna put down money as a deposit... as it would mean, less money in our emergency fund. And Yes... from what I do understand, they give you your deposit back... it's just the 6 Months/12 Months, that worries me. 

Um. I noticed on Citi Bank's website, there is a Citi Thank You Prefered card for Students? Is that even worth considering? And... what about Macy's, or Target, or even Lowes? Are they good with first-timers, with no credit history? 

Someone even told me, I should go and get a Sears Credit Card, as that was their first one. Unforuantely, I live quite a few hours away from a Sears store now, after all the recent closings :/

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi FicoMe123,

Why don't you try the Saturday Night Live MasterCard by Comenity? It is a new card so not a lot of people know about it. Also it is issued by Comenity, the bank that issues many of the easy to get store cards out there. It would certainly be easier to get than cards from the bigger banks such as Chase and Citi. Also, unlike the store cards, you'll be able to use it nearly everywhere. The link is below if you're interested:

https://d.comenity.net/snlcard/public/benefits/Benefits.xhtml

I'm glad to see that, at 18 years old, you have already decided to educate yourself about credit by becoming a member of this site. The best of luck to you.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don't have to go the secured route then avoid it. I skipped over that hurdle getting a Freedom and Cap 1 card with no credit card payment history. Although had I known I would be approved for Freedom I also would have avoided Cap 1. Pick two or three cards you're interested in and give them a try. Freedom, Discover, Amex ED or BCE maybe. A store card is fine IF its a card that you'll actually benefit from using. Im assuming your scores are decent and income is sufficient but that information would be helpful Smiley Happy If denied then explore secured alternatives.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.