Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Platinum vs Cash+ approval odds?

tag
Mischa
Contributor

USB Platinum vs Cash+ approval odds?

Ok, so my end goal is to have a Cash+ for the  utilities categories as that's the only thing missing from my current line up. However the short term goal is a BT. Platinum offers the longer APR terms (18 mo vs 15 mo). I've heard it's possible to later product change from a Plat to the Cash+? 

But I'm quite concerned about the infamous $500 SL. That would render the Platinum essentially useless as the BT I wanted to do wouldn't be happening and I'd have no other use for the card. If I got $500 on the Cash+ at least I could still use it for utilities and also get the $200 SUB. 

I have an existing relationship with USB (my main checking account for 15+ years) but have never had a CC with them. They frequently send offers for the Platinum, with some saying pre-qualified, but never send any for the Cash+.

Currently at 0/6, 1/12 for new accounts. Inquiries are 0/12 for EXP and TU. 0/6, 2/12 for EQ. I've heard they're likely to pull TU? 
FICO scores range from 700-730ish. 

Any advice or data points on which card has the higher approval rate or less likely to have the low SL? The majority of my other CCs limits are 10k-20k. I know USB doesn't seem to care about that though. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: USB Platinum vs Cash+ approval odds?

I know I am not answering your question(s) directly but, in my opinion, 15 months and 18 months are not that much different.  I'd go for the Cash+, earn the $200 bonus, take advantage of the 0% for 15 months, and then continue to enjoy the card thereafter.  Smiley Happy  Good luck!  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 5
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

I think you'll be fine and are over thinking this. You obviously have a longstanding relationship with them, a decent credit score and as long as everything else is in order I wouldn't think you'd get a $500 limit. They did pull TU for both of my cards so I'd definitely make sure you are ready for that but otherwise apply and enjoy your new card/s.

3/3/24
Message 3 of 5
risingup2day
Regular Contributor

Did you pull the trigger yet? Like @ptatohed what's three months? US Bank pulled TU for me (California) I don't know if that matters. Cash+ would be the one I would be looking at considering you can use the card after the BT. 

Here are my data points if you would like to compare when I applied and you I got the infamous $500 SL 😂. Our score are similar when I applied, but I had more new accounts and inquiries then you. Plus a BK 7 in 2014.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Applied-for-US-Bank-Cash-signature-approved/t...

Good luck if you decide to go for it! 

Message 4 of 5
mgood
Valued Contributor

@Mischa wrote:

Currently at 0/6, 1/12 for new accounts.  . . .

That's what I've heard they like to see. I was pushing it a little at 1/6, 2/12 when I applied and got approved for the Cash+ with a $2k SL, which is very low for me, but better than $500. They pulled Eq for me in Texas, FYI. I see everyone else saying TU. Like others, I'd go for the Cash+ for the long-term usefulness as well as the SUB instead of getting the Platinum for a few extra months on that BT. I don't know, but I doubt it would be harder to qualify for one over the other.

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 778, TU8 766, EX8 770 as of April 28
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE4 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 4/12, 7/24
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.