Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APPLIED FOR BARCLAYS CARD...HELP!

tag
S-Hunter
Established Member

APPLIED FOR BARCLAYS CARD...HELP!

I applied for a Barclays CC last Wednesday and I got the 7-10 day message. Checked online and discovered I was denied. Read a few post in here and decided to recon. Rep told me I didnt have enough history for them to approve me. Should I recon again? What should I say when trying to assure them that although I'm credit building, I am worthy of repayment?Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: APPLIED FOR BARCLAYS CARD...HELP!

OF course, you can always recon! Some people do it 2-3 times. lol Just be frank and explain why you want the card and that you'd like a chance to prove yourself.
Message 2 of 45
r34dy2fly
Contributor

If you have anything that could help your case, I'd try to offer it to them if you'd like.

I personally have a lot of debt but its mainly used to finance other investments of mine. I offered to show them balance statements from my investments to show I "could" pay off my debt if I really wanted to but would hurt my long term financial growth. Once I explained all this to the company, they usually approve me. 

Message 3 of 45
S-Hunter
Established Member

Thank you! Will try that approach.

Message 4 of 45
S-Hunter
Established Member

I have no debt...I never had a credit card and the reason for that is I was taught that you should pay everything with cash. It wasnt until i attempted to apply for a mortgage that I was hit in the face with a big DENIED. Been reading up on credit and the quickest way to approve your credit background is through credit cards. So, I dont want to give them that long drawn out story..unless I know it's going to work. lol. .

Message 5 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure whomever "taught" you that lesson meant well, but it was the wrong lesson, as you're now realizing. They should've taught you to get credit early and manage it properly.

Like others have said, some folks recon twice a day for several days until they're approved. It just takes one lucky time with the right rep. At this point, you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Either that, or try another creditor. I'm not sure how conservative Barclay's is compared to other creditors.

Message 6 of 45
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would apply for Discover and probably american express and capital one.

it seems to be split with no credit getting approved for discover and amex but you should be able to at least get a capital journey card and then in 6 months the doors will open.

Message 7 of 45
randy230k
New Contributor

Recon and recon again.  My brother was denied online for an Arrival+.  Had to recon 3 times.  worked on the third try!

In the garden since 7/30/17
Message 8 of 45
S-Hunter
Established Member

Recon for a second time... Denied...the rep said that they do not go by you fico score but your credit history... Both of my cards were established at least 6 months ago...apparently that's not enough time

Message 9 of 45
S-Hunter
Established Member

Amex declined. A little timid to apply for others

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.