Did you mean: 

AMEX 3x CLI - DENIED!

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX 3x CLI - DENIED!

@SpeedingWheels wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Usually, with a history of an internal bad debt, Amex will decline any requests for CLIs or new accounts.  

However, there are cases where certain people have been forigiven for prior indiscretions.  I'm not sure if this has anything to do with a new policy, the DOJ's lawsuits against them, or if some cardmembers simply fall through the cracks over time.

But, if you're one of those on the "blacklist," unless the debt is settled in full, they likely won't budge.  

I'm fully on board with everything you said, I just find it odd that I got an instant approval for the card with a 2K limit to begin with only for them to say 2 months later that no CLI due to the previous acct. 

*shrugs*  whateva.. I got my 35k miles and $100 statement credit out of them plus 13 years of backdating... I'm satisfied if this is all I get TBH. 

Good deal on both!  

The 13 years alone has been worth it, regardless of what Amex does henceforth.  There are a few cases where approvals slipped through the cracks, but upon further review, Amex either didn't noticed or decided to use the "prior bad debt" reasoning to refuse another card of CL.

Again, no idea how they decide or implement this.  Seems to be quite random.

Message 11 of 18
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

I agree Open123. Some nice pointers for us there. I think Amex intentionally allows a few who might have done the mistake early on in their credit career but have now good "collection scores", meaning they now have a solid history and might be able to repay the old debt in exchange for the chance to rebuild with them again and backdate. But then again it could just be accidental, just guessing Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 18
Open123
Super Contributor

@MustangSaluki wrote:

I agree Open123. Some nice pointers for us there. I think Amex intentionally allows a few who might have done the mistake early on in their credit career but have now good "collection scores", meaning they now have a solid history and might be able to repay the old debt in exchange for the chance to rebuild with them again and backdate. But then again it could just be accidental, just guessing Smiley Happy

Good reasoning and very preceptive.  While I have no reason to believe Amex would engage in such behavior, it would hardly suprise me either.  LOL

Message 13 of 18
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Wow!!  Sorry to hear that they denied your CLI.  Amex has the memory of a herd of elephants though.  Maybe try to recon and hope you can make headway.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 14 of 18
codesingh
Regular Contributor

I recently paid off my old(2003) charged off debt with amex. The automated system reflects that too now(I still have all the card info, so I was able to call and access my account info...being able to hear about my account first time after 10 years was kinda creepy :-) )

So it has been a week of being debt free from amex, it has fallen off my CR as well(as of 2011). I have no BK or any other derogs.

What do you think? What would be my chances and when would that chance mature?

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 15 of 18
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 16 of 18
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Apply Code!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 18
codesingh
Regular Contributor

I am thinking if I wait a little longer and app after few months, I may get higher CL than right now. 

I spoke with amex in Ft. Lauderdale and they said to give at least one more day so all of their systems are updated.

I still think, I should wait even longer. Do you think that's better? On the other hand I am thining my scores are looking good right now so why not app now(i mean within this week). But then why did I put myself in the garden then? Lol

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.