Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CL Transfer

tag
Longroad
Established Contributor

AMEX CL Transfer

I have seen various reports of how the transfer of the CL from one card to another works with AMEX and would like to see if I couldn't get it all figured out here. I have an old AMEX Delta that I have sock drawered as Delta no longer flys out of our airport and would like to get that credit line transfered to my Hilton HHonors card. I spoke with someone on chat and got some conflicting information, not 100% sure she understood what I was asking.

Anyway, what I would like to do is transfer the entire CL from Delta to Hilton and close the Delta card. Is that possible without having to lose $500 of the CL as I have read other places?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX CL Transfer

I believe it IS possible if the card you are transferring from has had 0 balance for a 60 or 90 day period. The reason they "keep" $500 on it is in case an unexpected charge/return/dispute resolution comes through. After 60 days or so, that's no longer an issue.

Message 2 of 5
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Your DONOR card must have had completed 13 billing cycles , and must LEAVE $500 limit remaining on the card. 

Cant take the entire limit.

Message 3 of 5
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

I converted my Delta card into the free Hilton card and took the entire limit.

Data points:

- The card was opened for more than 13 months. (about 1.5 years)

- I had zero balance on it

- I took the entire limit.

- Did this in January of last year.

It was also done all over online chat. Hope that helps.

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 4 of 5
Longroad
Established Contributor

Just tried online and it wouldn't let me move the entire CL, made me leave $500. So I contacted a CSR on chat and they told me I had to leave $500 on the card because they couldn't have a card with a $0 limit. I told them I wanted to close the other card and therefore it didn't need a CL because it would be closed. He tried to do an override, but said it wouldn't allow him to move all of it, so it appears that I will lose the $500 when I close the account. I still have until June before the AF hits so I will keep trying.

Had him move the CL (besides the $500) and he came back and told me I would receive a letter in the mail in 7-10 days. Sounds like a denial on moving a CL?!?!?!?!

Is this common or what is the deal with this? Total confussion tonight.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.