Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Corporate Card inquiry?

tag
bbb925
Regular Contributor

AMEX Corporate Card inquiry?

I just recently received my AMEX Corporate CC with no limit and AMEX actually pulled my personal report with EX on 5/18. Why would they pull my credit if it is being handed out through my company for business use? My company also stated that I have to reconcile my bill with AMEX each month as I would have to pay any late fees if I pay late and it would go on my credit. Is that odd or is that normal corporate policy? I have to go through my company website to pay each month and the bill is paid via my company but they make me responsible for staying on top of it. Does what I'm saying make sense? It is hard to explain in text.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Corporate Card inquiry?

Not sure about the (hard?) inquiry, but the rest looks okay to me. That's why having at least decent credit is important if you want to get certain jobs that require corporate credit cards.

Message 2 of 12
bbb925
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure about the (hard?) inquiry, but the rest looks okay to me. That's why having at least decent credit is important if you want to get certain jobs that require corporate credit cards.

Yep, they pulled a hard inquiry. I guess what's odd to me is if my company is backing it as it is only to be used for business use only, why would it have anything to do with my personal credit? I didn't apply for an AMEX as it's not a card I would like for my personal use, yet because my company wants me to use it they check my credit. Now I have an inquiry and the CC will never show on my CR is what I have read. So in turn it looks like I'm applying for credit and not getting it because of the inquiry and no new AMEX account posting. Just irritated about it. Doesn't seem copasetic.Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

Hm, that is a tad unusual.

Recently, I received a business card from my firm without my credit having been pulled, though I had to provide my ssn and b'day.  I know that if you were to default, they could potentially place the negative on your CR. 

Message 4 of 12
hammertime
New Contributor

FYI it is standard policy on AMEX corporate cards to hold cardholder(employee) responsible for payment on corporate cards.  If your employer is late or doesn't pay the bill they will trash your personal credit and hold you liable for the charges.

I would refuse the card and opt to use personal cards and seek reimbursement from company or just ask for travel advances.  Either option is less risky than the corporate card.

Message 5 of 12
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@hammertime wrote:

I would refuse the card and opt to use personal cards and seek reimbursement from company or just ask for travel advances.  Either option is less risky than the corporate card.

Many companies won't allow you to opt out of their corporate card system and use a personal card instead, it's an internal control issue. 

Message 6 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I don't know why people get so concerned about this.  It's one inquiry on your report.  Yes, it is a problem if your credit is too low for you to be able to get the card.  And I've been there.  I was almost denied a Diner's Club card at my last job.  I got the job right after being unemployed for over 6 months.  My credit was in the tank.  It was very frustrating because I needed the job to start paying my bills and I was worried about the credit check.  But they checked my credit before giving me the job anyway, the corporate credit card was a side issue. 

In any event, it's not unreasonable for a company to want to see how you handle your finances before issuing you a card even if they are backing it.  I did get the Diner's card.  I know there was no way in hell I could have gotten a similar card with my score at the time.  So their approval criteria is different considering that the company is backing the card.  But there are probably things they still want to check for.  My issue was recent late payments because of unemployment.  But I had no charge offs, collections, judgments, etc.  At some level, probably tons of charge offs and unpaid collections, I imagine they'd be unwilling to issue the card even if it is backed by someone eles.  That seems reasonable to me.  Of all the things an employer can require you to do, carrying a coprorate credit card to charge business expenses isn't that onerous. 

Putting the bad credit issue aside, a lot of people seem to object to this just because of the inquiry.  It's one inquiry on your report.  It isn't that big of a deal.  I think people tend to overplay the significance of a hard inquiry on this site. 

Also, I don't see how using your personal card helps you that much.  If the company refuses to reimburse you, you're still on the hook for the charges.  If anything, I would think you'd get less sympathy from your personal credit card company trying to explain to them that it was a business charge that you shouldn't be responsible for. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thInk it's BS that it inquiries but doesn't report. That's really unfair to the employee. But it is what it is.
Message 8 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I thInk it's BS that it inquiries but doesn't report. That's really unfair to the employee. But it is what it is.

Would you really want a new account to show up?  What if there's no backdating?  Now you'd have another tradeline affecting your AAoA and take another ding in addition to the hard inquiry.  And you'd have large balances constantly posting unless you wanted to try to manipulate your utilization by paying before statement cut, which could mean paying before you were reimbursed.  Even if the balance isn't figured in your utilization, you'd potentially have one more item to explain on a manual review.  I've had months with $20K in expenses.  It probably wouldn't have been difficult to explain that I wasn't really carrying $20K in credit card debt, but I'd rather not bother.  I was perfectly satisfied not having the Diner's Club card show up on my personal report. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand. I also have a corporate Amex. It just sucks that the inquiry can't help.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.