Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX NPSL Question

tag
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX NPSL Question

There's no specific amount the limit starts at initially.  I checked mine for $4000 the day I activated my card and got a yes, before running a single charge through it.

Others have seen their internal limit start lower than that. Others have seen higher starting limits. It all depends.

AmEx seems to have a formula that sets it based on your income, reported assets, credit history, and who knows what else.  The number can differ from one borrower to the next.

I will say that since $4000 is my likely max monthly spend (barring an unusually large purchase), I did not "ease into" using the card at all. I put the vast majority of my regular spending through it from day one, and have seen no AA.

In your case, I would use the card as much as I can, paying in full when necessary to reset the balance. I would just avoid making lots of little payments. Use it normally, make a big payment, lather rinse repeat.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 11 of 12
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX NPSL Question

@TheConductor wrote:

There's no specific amount the limit starts at initially.  I checked mine for $4000 the day I activated my card and got a yes, before running a single charge through it.

Others have seen their internal limit start lower than that. Others have seen higher starting limits. It all depends.

AmEx seems to have a formula that sets it based on your income, reported assets, credit history, and who knows what else.  The number can differ from one borrower to the next.

I will say that since $4000 is my likely max monthly spend (barring an unusually large purchase), I did not "ease into" using the card at all. I put the vast majority of my regular spending through it from day one, and have seen no AA.

In your case, I would use the card as much as I can, paying in full when necessary to reset the balance. I would just avoid making lots of little payments. Use it normally, make a big payment, lather rinse repeat.

I'm in the same category, I didn't report any assets... but when i got it I ran it up to about 500.00 and check and it said a 2k purchase would be approved... 

thsi is all i'm likely to need at one time, any of my expenses will be air travel or hotels for work that get reimbursed... 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.