Did you mean: 

AMEX Platimum Points Question

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AMEX Platimum Points Question

@Lin55 wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

This makes me really want to trade in my BCE to the everyday card. i dont want to be earning two different kinds of points.

If you like the 3-6% cash back in groceries then stick with the BCE. If you like the transferring to airlines, go with the Everyday card(s)!

I see use from both cards depending on the person. The regular Blue card however I see going obsolete.

I think it is more how much you value an MR.  If you transfer, you can get high valuations, and the  2MR on groceries (up to 6K) can be worth more than the 3% the BCE gives you.   If however, you don't think you will ever transfer, and you have little non-category spending, the everyday probably isn't worth it.  But in that case, get the Sallie Mae and sock drawer the BCE.

Message 11 of 20
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

This makes me really want to trade in my BCE to the everyday card. i dont want to be earning two different kinds of points.

Current belief is that you cannot PC, you would have to app.

Depending on spend and how you value MR, the everyday card may not be better for all.  You also have to do 20 transactions a month, which may take transactions away from other cards (although 20 per month isn't a lot).

A known Amex employee on the "other" boards confirmed that you will not be able to PC to ED/EDP.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 12 of 20
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

Depending on spend and how you value MR, the everyday card may not be better for all.  You also have to do 20 transactions a month, which may take transactions away from other cards (although 20 per month isn't a lot).

A known Amex employee on the "other" boards confirmed that you will not be able to PC to ED/EDP.

Anyword on PC-ing a SPG card to a Everyday card yet?

Message 13 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Lin55 wrote:

@Leadberry wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

The statement on the Amex Community Forums implied no PCing at all to the new cards.

Message 14 of 20
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@Lin55 wrote:

@Leadberry wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

See quoted text:

"I have an update for those of you enquiring on product changing to this card - I went into the office last night and learnt that this is one of the cards that will not be able to have any type of product change (like JetBlue and TrueEarnings). The reason for this particular card's restriction is due to the [20% or 50%] bonusing structure tied to the card. The only way to get this card will unfortunately be to apply. Sorry in advance for any confusion or disappointment."

FICO Scores 800+
Message 15 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

The statement on the Amex Community Forums implied no PCing at all to the new cards.

Only rationale I can think of for this is because Blue cash or Blue Sky has different rewards, which aren't convertable to MRs.  For instance, what happens to the $18 cash remaining in a PC'ed BCP?  Since it can only be redeemed at $25 increments and can't be dispursed as a check.

*Edited*  Obviously, posted before reading Leadberry's post above.  In this case, I'll just app for the EDP on launch date.

Message 16 of 20
newUser0
Established Contributor

@Lin55 wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

What kind of points do the charge cards (gold) earn? is it the same as the new everyday card?

Zync = MRE points.

Green, Gold, PRG, Platinum, MB Platinum card, MB credit card, Centurion, Everyday, EverydayP all earns regular MR points. 

I think this is wrong information.

Zync = MRE Points

Green, Gold, PRG, Everyday series = MR Points

Platinum (MB and other versions) and Centurion = MR First Points.

Here is a link that explains this better.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/cards/platinum/benefit.do?benefitTemplate=template_a&benefitId=me...

Message 17 of 20
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

@Lin55 wrote:

@twist7d7 wrote:

What kind of points do the charge cards (gold) earn? is it the same as the new everyday card?

Zync = MRE points.

Green, Gold, PRG, Platinum, MB Platinum card, MB credit card, Centurion, Everyday, EverydayP all earns regular MR points. 

I think this is wrong information.

Zync = MRE Points

Green, Gold, PRG, Everyday series = MR Points

Platinum (MB and other versions) and Centurion = MR First Points.

Here is a link that explains this better.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/cards/platinum/benefit.do?benefitTemplate=template_a&benefitId=me...

You're correct but the difference between MR and MR First is minute. For instance you request advance MR points with MR First, and that's the only difference I think.

Message 18 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@Lin55 wrote:

You're correct but the difference between MR and MR First is minute. For instance you request advance MR points with MR First, and that's the only difference I think.

Only other difference is on the Bus Plat, MR First points receive a 20% discount when using points for travel redemptions.  However, even with a 20% discount, it's usually not a good option compared to direct FF transfers for air travel redemption.

Message 19 of 20
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Lin55 wrote:

Only other difference is on the Bus Plat, MR First points receive a 20% discount when using points for travel redemptions.  However, even with a 20% discount, it's usually not a good option compared to direct FF transfers for air travel redemption.

thanks. Yeah, I can't believe they took the 20% off from the personal Plat. But as you said transferring to airlines is much better anyway.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.