Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska Air card/ Advice

tag
808state
Established Member

Alaska Air card/ Advice

Looking to see what the chances are of getting an Alaska Visa Sig card, not platinum.

Ex -?

TU-?

EQ -698

3 Derogs on my record Foreclosure in 2006 (one with GMAC, the other with Countrywide-which is now BofA), and a 30 day late in 2005

Amex Zync since 2010 - highest monthly ~$5k monthly avg ~$1.5k

3 paid auto loans - all with a CU

***This one is odd.*** Bofa Credit card opened in 2003 was closed by Bofa in 2010 -  I tried for a CLI, two days later my card is canceled. When I called to find out why, I was told it was due to my Countrywide loan which foreclosed in 2006, which later transfered to BofA in 2008. I never missed a payment with Bofa before, during, or within the 2 years after my foreclosure. When they pulled for the CLI, they noticed the old foreclosure, which was then thiers, and cut my account!

Bummer as this was my only bank card card.

HSBC Best Buy card opened in 2002. $11k limit. High was $6k, card is used once a quarter.

What are my chances, any advice?

I currently have $0 balances on all accounts, save for ~$300 on the Amex.

TU 722 | EQ 779 | Alaska Airlines Visa 5k | NFCU Cash Rewards Signature Visa 12.5k | Foreclosure in 2006
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pmbrian
Contributor

Re: Alaska Air card/ Advice

Hi, just checking to see if you applied and were approved?

03/25/20 - FICO 8 EQ - 709 TU - 717 EX - 718

09/02/19 - FICO 8 EQ - 702 TU - 699 EX - 714
Message 2 of 3
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Alaska Air card/ Advice

@808state wrote:

Looking to see what the chances are of getting an Alaska Visa Sig card, not platinum.

Ex -?

TU-?

EQ -698

3 Derogs on my record Foreclosure in 2006 (one with GMAC, the other with Countrywide-which is now BofA), and a 30 day late in 2005

Amex Zync since 2010 - highest monthly ~$5k monthly avg ~$1.5k

3 paid auto loans - all with a CU

***This one is odd.*** Bofa Credit card opened in 2003 was closed by Bofa in 2010 -  I tried for a CLI, two days later my card is canceled. When I called to find out why, I was told it was due to my Countrywide loan which foreclosed in 2006, which later transfered to BofA in 2008. I never missed a payment with Bofa before, during, or within the 2 years after my foreclosure. When they pulled for the CLI, they noticed the old foreclosure, which was then thiers, and cut my account!

Bummer as this was my only bank card card.

HSBC Best Buy card opened in 2002. $11k limit. High was $6k, card is used once a quarter.

What are my chances, any advice?

I currently have $0 balances on all accounts, save for ~$300 on the Amex.

Honestly I'd say it's not great. BofA has a very long memory when it comes to any baddies, and a forclosure is definitely in this category. It seems like with them you're ok as long as you have a squeeky clean record. Once you damage that though (for whatever reason), they will never treat you the same again.

BofA acquired Countrywide (stupidly might I add), so it essentially became theirs. Other people have had similar issues with WaMu being acquired by Chase. There are lots of comments on here by former WaMu clients being treated as second-class customers for this reason.

Given the recent changes to the companion pass, I'd stay away from this card as it just lost any value it once had. There have been a couple major changes to the card and Alaska's mileage program lately, neither of which are good.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.