Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Platinum Question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx Platinum Question?

Ok I'm going to use my Card to book a hotel in Vegas for when I get home, I want to go to Vegas in Auguest (I know it's hot) My question is I'm going to book the reservation with my Platinum card but knowing this is a Charge card and not a Credit card does it work the same way as in will it hold a reservation for 3 months out?  I only ask becasue I've never used it before.  I would call and just use the Concierge service but like I said I'm in Afhanistan and I can't call so next best thing is ask you guys!

Also I ordered an iPad for my Son's graduation gift he has been bugging me for one forever now.  I ordered it thought the AmEx store then the apple store to get the x6 rewards points.  Does anyone know when those points usually show up?  It's still a pending charge on my card will the points pop up when it goes through or like each billing cycle? 

Thanks guys!!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

Re: AmEx Platinum Question?

Hi there! I work in a hotel and can tell you that yes, it will hold the reservation for you.  We have folks book with their Platinum and Centurion cards all of the time with no problem whatsoever.

The only way your card will be CHARGED at the time of making the reservation is if you do an Advance Purchase deal where you you book far enough in advance that you receive a certain percentage off the Best Available Rate (these generally require a deposit at the time of the booking and usually have special cancellation policies).

Have fun in Vegas and stay cool by the pool!

TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information!

Message 3 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1 to the comment from isoldmyatlas ~ the only place that it will show on your Platinum Card is in pending charges. Your card will show the pending authorization for 7 days and then it will be cleared out since the merchant/hotel won't be charging your card until your hotel stay. The hotel has your card # on file and will honor your reservation.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Pizzadude, does anyone know the answer to the second question about the points? 

Message 5 of 11
ficofox
Regular Contributor

I have used the Amex Shopping link in order to earn 6X rewards points and the points never showed up. I avoid the Amex shopping link now and primarily use the Delta Shopping rewards  using my Delta Gold Skymiles Amex instead of my Platinum Amex. The Delta Gold points post very quickly so I'm more confident with that shopping rewards avenue.

But, that is just my own experience. Hopefully, others here might post back about success with the 6X rewards points via Amex Shopping with the Platinum card.

As far as hotel reservations with the Platinum, some hotels charge a first night deposit (even if you don't go with a discount booker like Expedia), so you would pay that before arriving at the hotel. Otherwise, if the hotel doesn't require a deposit, then it is as other posters said - you will see a $1.00 charge in pending authorizations.

If you use Fine Hotels and Resorts, they typically won't charge anything to the Platinum at all until you check out of the hotel. Seems like TheHotel gets the best FHR reviews for Vegas.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Ficofox, gosh I hope that's not the case on a regular basis with the points?  I really wanted to take advantage of that!  Gosh I feel like my hands are tied wish I could call them and ask them these questions.  Gerrrr 

Message 7 of 11
ficofox
Regular Contributor

Since you're out of Country and can't call, I recommend using their Instant Messaging option within your Amex online account. Maybe sending them something to inquire about their point posting timeframe just to get it on the record. That way, if the points don't post within their stated timeframe, you can refer back to your Instant Message history when disputing. Best of luck!

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to give that a shot. 

You have been more than helpfull my friend!

Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
dmbtay
Regular Contributor

the points always show up the month after your payment on the month you made the charge.  You can also always check the pending points to see what's actually pending.  When points are posted they split them as regular & bonus.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.