Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex credit limit decrease?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex credit limit decrease?

So I just received my Amex Blue Sky today. I set up my account online and saw that my credit limit was only $1,000. But when I called American Express when I first received the approval, they said my limit would be $3,500. Why would they decrease my limit already, when I haven't even used it?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex credit limit decrease?

Maybe you had a big change in your report right away? All lenders base changes to credit terms on your credit history, which they pull often.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Maybe you had a big change in your report right away? All lenders base changes to credit terms on your credit history, which they pull often.

I recently applied for a credit limit increase for my discover, which was a hard pull, and got declined. maybe they saw the inquiry and thought I was risky and credit-hungry?

Message 3 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'd hope that one inquiry wouldnt cause that, but maybe it did... Amex seems to be very protective in the risk managment department... I'd check the Exec Office Dept and give them a call in the morning!!:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Number*
Message 5 of 10
Epcot
Valued Contributor

That is very strange. Was there a credit limit listed on the letter sent with the card?

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 6 of 10
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

They CLD me from 3k - 1k back in 06/07 after softing me.

So I would say that this is not out of line for Amex.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 10
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Oh wow that's terrible definitely call and keep us posted!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not have a letter stating it (which is what one rep asked me over the phone), I heard it through the automated responses when i called about the status of my application the morning I got an email about the approval. maybe I was still tired and deliriously heard it. No biggie, at least I got my foot in the door with Amex.

Message 9 of 10
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I had something similar happen when I opened my Clear back in the early part of last year.  I was approved with a $5000 CL.  After about two months they CLD to $2600.  I got a letter in the mail stating that it was a "system error" which resulted in the initial approval for $5000.  Unfortunately, despite this supposedly being their error, it still counted as an adverse action in their system which prevented me from requesting a CLI on that card for 6 months from that date, instead of 6 months from the date the card was opened, as is the usual guideline.  After 6 months from the CLD I did call in for a CLI and got it back up to $5000, where it sits today.  Since then I have added an NPSL Zync and a BCP at $4500, and have had no other problems with CLD.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.