tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: BBVA Compass pre-approval mailer.

Message 21 of 31
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol CC, monkeysSmiley Happy Why cant i stop picturing Disco's Cli Boardroom? Smiley Wink

Congrats UB, ill see ya in approvalsSmiley Happy
Message 22 of 31
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol CC, monkeysSmiley Happy Why cant i stop picturing Disco's Cli Boardroom? Smiley Wink

Honestly between BBVA or Discoer it is a toss up who is more of a joke for me Smiley Happy... Discover acts very polite and professional, but they are just script readers and have zero power to do anything and make zero sense (least in my book) or BBVA that is just clueless during the NBA card.. Ill be honest BBVA is worse if one has had issues with them.  Discover is just bi-polar whom they approve or not and whom thy decide to give big or small limits to.  Discover heck you make 6.50 an hour and your report is full of CO's and lates here is 10k - on other hand you make 200k and no baddies should it be a decline or a 1k or lets go out on a limb and give you .a 2k limit! Obviously I have strong feelings about both lenders lol.   

With that said I would of jumped over that pre-approal as well with BBVA as they know who he is and most likely was able to be validated indeed which he ended up being approved. 

I got to bash both of my lenders i don't like in one post woot!

Message 23 of 31
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Honestly between BBVA or Discoer it is a toss up who is more of a joke for me Smiley Happy... Discover acts very polite and professional, but they are just script readers and have zero power to do anything and make zero sense (least in my book) or BBVA that is just clueless during the NBA card.. Ill be honest BBVA is worse one has had issues with them.  Discover is just bi-polar whom they approve or not and whom thy decide to give big or small limits to.  Discover heck you make 6.50 an hour and your report is full of CO's and lates here is 10k - on other hand you make 200k and no baddies should it be a decline or a 1k or lets go out on a limb and give you .a 2k limit! Obviously I have strong feelings about both lenders lol.   

With that said I would of jumped over that pre-approal as well with BBVA as they know who he is and most likely was able to be validated indeed which he ended up being approved. 

Preach!  Smiley Very Happy

Side note for new members here:  if you go back and look at my previous BBVA posts, most of them have been warnings... LOL.Smiley Surprised

I've said in the past that they were too big for that 'local feel' but too small to have big-bank efficiencies, basically the worst of both worlds.  I'm actually shocked that I was ever on their radar, and I'm even more shocked that I was interested in getting a credit product with them (only Barclay's taking me back - and my wanting one of their cards - would be more shocking than my being a Compass Bank customer again). 

I won't lie that part of my motivation is knowing that I'll only use the card for bonus categories, meaning they'll be paying me monthly to use their card (in addition to the sign-up bonus).  In a convoluted way, they'll be reimbursing me for the headaches they caused me all those years ago, and that puts a smile on my face. Smiley TongueSmiley Very Happy

All that said, obviously I'm hoping for a good experience this time around, and knowing that just like people can mature and change companies can as well... here's hoping that's the case with BBVA. 

Message 24 of 31
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Honestly between BBVA or Discoer it is a toss up who is more of a joke for me Smiley Happy... Discover acts very polite and professional, but they are just script readers and have zero power to do anything and make zero sense (least in my book) or BBVA that is just clueless during the NBA card.. Ill be honest BBVA is worse one has had issues with them.  Discover is just bi-polar whom they approve or not and whom thy decide to give big or small limits to.  Discover heck you make 6.50 an hour and your report is full of CO's and lates here is 10k - on other hand you make 200k and no baddies should it be a decline or a 1k or lets go out on a limb and give you .a 2k limit! Obviously I have strong feelings about both lenders lol.   

Side note for new members here:  if you go back and look at my previous BBVA posts, most of them have been warnings... LOL.Smiley Surprised

I've said in the past that they were too big for that 'local feel' but too small to have big-bank efficiencies, basically the worst of both worlds.  I'm actually shocked that I was ever on their radar, and I'm even more shocked that I was interested in getting a credit product with them (only Barclay's taking me back - and my wanting one of their cards - would be more shocking than my being a Compass Bank customer again). 

All that said, obviously I'm hoping for a good experience this time around, and knowing that just like people can mature and change companies can as well... here's hoping that's the case with BBVA. 

You play with the likes of barclays and your playing with a h0t potatoe UncleB. Think you know that already.

Each time i got up the nerve this year to add a barclays again, another lender brings home the bacon as another kindly reminder for me to think over that. Smiley Very Happy

CreditCuriosity on the other hand still has plenty to stew about over his ordeal with BBVA. Who could possibly forget that whole mess. Smiley Frustrated

But can't really complain on this end with Compass. I do dare them to send a PreQual to my box though.

Message 25 of 31
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I'm gonna go out on a limb. I LOVE their mobile app.
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no cap on points, unless you're using a business card (for obvious reasons - most business accounts can get very, very spendy just by their nature).

You cannot technically get "cash," but you can get account credit.  One penny, one point, starting with $25 (2500 points) in increments of 25-100.  

There are other things you can get, gift cards and travel (air/hotel), the usual sort of thing.  Sometimes these beat the penny per point, sometimes they don't, it just depends.

You can choose new categories only once each 90 days, so you have to be sure when you pick one that you'll want that one for the next three months.  Mine are on Restaurants (3x) and Utilities (2x) and have been for a while, since I have other cards that give 3x cash back on groceries and travel, already - but if you want a travel card and don't have one yet, yes it is possible to turn this one into a perpetual 3x travel card with no limit on points.

I have never really had a problem with them, as far as customer service goes, but then since I've not yet had an issue that needed customer service I have no real firsthand experience with it anyway.

I know they used to limit cards to people in Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas, but I'm not sure that is still the case anymore, in fact I rather suspect they issue to anyone in the US now.

Message 27 of 31
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

Got the same mailer today.  Never heard of them.  To the shredder it went.

Message 28 of 31
916networktech
Contributor

I got the Preapprove Email, I applied and then got the following, was told to wait 48-72 hrs for a callback:

-------------------------------

Thank you for your application for a new BBVA Compass ClearPoints Credit Card. It’s under review now, and we may need to request a few more details. 

If further information is needed, we’ll contact you soon to discuss. 
Sincerely,
Your friends at BBVA Compass 

P.S. For help or more information, email OAOapplication.us@bbva.com or call 1-877-737-7727 (have your Application ID handy). 

bbvaaa

| January 2017 American Express Blue $3000 | October 2017 American Express Everyday $2800 | October 2017 American Express Schwab Investor Card $6000 | September 2017 Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa $500 | December 2016 Discover it | $3,000 | September 2017 Paypal MC $700 | September 2017 Nordstrom Store CC $3000 | CreditCare $12000 | December 2017 BBVA Visa $12500 |

EX 688 December 2018
TU 680 December 2018
INQs: 5
Credit Started January 2017

cc
Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received the same letter and the same 2-3 day response. Got a referral number on the third day and verified some basic ID info and was told that it would take another 2-3 days for another rep to guide me through the next step. Five minutes later I received an approval email and the card came about a week later. 6k SL, 17.99 APR.

Hope you get a similar result.

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.