Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays CLI question

tag
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Re: Barclays CLI question

I just tried the APR trick and was transferred to a very nice stateside credit analyst.  I didn't imagine I would actually get an APR reduction because I was already at 13.99%, which was the lowest APR available at the time I app'd for the Sallie Mae card in February 2014.  To my surprise, he was able to lower it to 12.99%.  Of course, the real reason for my call was a SP CLI and luckily I was eligible for one of those as well.  After verifying my income (which isn't high for the record), I was approved for a SP increase of $3000, so my new CL is $9300 (from $6300).  All in all, a very successful call, which I would have never thought to attempt if it wasn't for this forum!

Message 61 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

@celluloid17 wrote:

I just tried the APR trick and was transferred to a very nice stateside credit analyst.  I didn't imagine I would actually get an APR reduction because I was already at 13.99%, which was the lowest APR available at the time I app'd for the Sallie Mae card in February 2014.  To my surprise, he was able to lower it to 12.99%.  Of course, the real reason for my call was a SP CLI and luckily I was eligible for one of those as well.  After verifying my income (which isn't high for the record), I was approved for a SP increase of $3000, so my new CL is $9300 (from $6300).  All in all, a very successful call, which I would have never thought to attempt if it wasn't for this forum!

Congrats!!! Ummmm, i called yesterday and i was told i have the lowest APR...19%.  Going to try again today and hopefully i get someone as nice as your rep lol.

Message 62 of 77
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

Congrats!!! Ummmm, i called yesterday and i was told i have the lowest APR...19%.  Going to try again today and hopefully i get someone as nice as your rep lol.

Best of luck!  Make sure they transfer you to a credit analyst. 

Message 63 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got a CLI after having the Arrival for 3 months but I gave reason of needing to make a large purchase. Actually didnt think she would raise it to 17.5k from 10k but she did. She asked if there was anyth else she could help me with, was tempted to ask for more since i actually need like 18k for the purchase. But didnt want to push it so.. 

Message 64 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a $500 limit on my rewards. I pump about $2000 a month through it before switching to my QS. How good are they on increasing limits at the 6 month mark? If they don't increase it enough to handle my spending, I will have to stop using it and go with Cap One.

Message 65 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

that makes no sense..
yes they are all about growing your limit but you spend roughly $2k a month..
so use it for gas and groceries and use your QS for general spend (1.5% > 1%>)
a thousand dollar limit on SM is more than sufficient for people because you probably won't get on average $1k worth of 5% categories. use it for the 5% only and your QS for all else
Message 66 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

my bad thought you had sallie mae. similar rules though: use the barclay on the 2x categories and hour QS on a edging else to get max benefit
Message 67 of 77
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

@WLRK11 wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

This worked for me. I lowered my APR 1% and also raised my CL $500. Not stellar, but an increase nonetheless. I haven't used the card much at all though, so I can't expect much. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: I literally just got off the phone with them after reading this thread!

Same with me. 1% reduction and CLI of $750. Not happy about it. 

While I'm not particularly happy with the $500 increase, it's better than nothing especially with the limited use I've been utilizing with them. What about you? Have you been using them a lot?

I used my Rewards card for online shopping (Amazon, eBay, a few clothing stores) and gas during my first 12 months (0% APR!). PIF after the promo and now all they've seen is my fuel expense ($200-300/month) Smiley Happy

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 68 of 77
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
dude sorry. wrong person. i meant what i said to go towardsWLKR11lol my bad!!! no you're good buddy you didn't complain at all. sorry for mixing it up. sincerely.

1) It's WLRK11.

2) I wrote that I wasn't happy about it (referring to the APR decrease, not the CLI) because it was only one point. It was as though they said, "Oh! His TU has improved 70+ points since he applied for the card after we sent him a mailer. We better offer him something... anything... Okay, one point! *snickers*"

3) I'm indifferent about CLIs. BOA and AMEX have been kind to me and if I wanted to charge something more than $10k, I'd just use my AMEX charge card. 

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 69 of 77
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I should be getting my 7th statement here in a couple of weeks.  No love at 6 months at all.

I called last week and talked tried to ask for an APR reduction and was shot down, and told any CLI would be a hard pull.  I called ten minutes later and asked right off the bat to be transfered to the retention department.  I was (if they say they cannot just keep trying until you get there) and once there I asked again, I got a 4% APR reduction forever and 0% promo until March and a $500 SP CLI to $1500 from my 1k.  Easy, said to call back in 6 months if no auto increase.  Well then, that was totally worth my time!

As a super funny note - I applied for the Barclays Wyndham rewards card later that same day and and was approved for 5k Visa Signature.  What?  You'll give me a new 5k but only $500 more on my existing card?!  First Visa Siggy, I'm happy.

Congrats on your first VISA Siggy! I remember that feeling. My CSP is about to have its first birthday. 

Message 70 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.