Regular Contributor
DesertLife

Re: Best Secured Credit Card for REALLY low score?

tattooedhusker wrote:

I have an OpenSky secured card, no credit check with them.

Open Sky has a $50 annual fee compared to First Progress' $29 (platinum elite), $39 (platinum select), or $44 (platinum prestige) annual fee.

Starting Score: EX: 717; EQ 723; TU 732
2014 Current Score: PenFed FICO NextGen 781 (5/14); Discover FICO08 790 (10/14); EX 748 (4/14); EQ 737 (4/14); TU 761 (5/14)
Goal Score: All 775+
Available Credit: $100K+
Gardening Since: April 17 2014
Established Contributor
Ravensfan2001

State Department Federal Credit Union has a rewards Visa with no credit check, no annual fee, and 6.99% APR. You have to open an account with them (I opened mine online) and apply for the card via phone.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Mortgage Scores:(7/24/13 lender pull) TU 663 | EX 635 | EQ 649
Current Score (11/7/14): TU 664 | EX 605 (no update) | EQ 661
Goals: 680 across the board by 3/2015. Last app 7/16/14 (auto loan)
*** Homeowner 9/27/13*** All but 2 CCs are in the sock drawer!***
Valued Contributor
Repo-ed

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

RedHead1 wrote:

Hi all,

As you can see below, I have an abysmal score. I've been wanting to open a secured card for the following reasons: 1. I can now control my spending and can use it responsibly, 2. increase my debt to credit ratio, 3. have a card with a good, clean slate. Problem is, I only want to apply ONCE, so I don't have any additional credit checks. Is there a card that has a good acceptance rate for people with as low a score as mine? PS- I have bad history with Barclays, Capital One, and Citi, if that means anything.

I think you need stages of secured cards.   First try the sub prime ones that don't pull credit, others have mentioned here.   Then after a year or more, you can probably add a secured card from a major bank or credit union.   Cap1, USBank, BofA, CITI are all likely to deny at this time, but would be likely after you improve. 

US Bank denied me 4 years ago when I started rebuilding and my credit was not nearly as bad.   Then I started with Open Sky secured, added HSBC secured at six months, Capital One secured at a year.   When secured cards were 1.5 yrs old, I got unsecured cards from the same banks. It takes several years to rebuild.

Contributor
GreatCreditFor2012

Yea the others post are correct. It takes at least 2 years to build maybe even more to rebuild. But yea Opensky is Kool... You can deposit $200-$3000, no credit check, and they report to all 3 CRA, Also a low APR 14.5%. Downside is the Annual Fee is $50 and it will never turn into a unsecured Card. But its Kool to put your foot in the Credit door again. Good luck on your Credit rebuild journey! :smileyhappy:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}