Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a house with a Credit Card?

tag
Scene
Regular Contributor

Buying a house with a Credit Card?

While we are on the subject of charging exorbitant items to our credit cards, is it possible to buy a house with a credit card/charge card?

Hello Scene,

I've split this off to start a new thread since you changed the subject. It gets confusing when people start answering different questions within the same thread. All I changed is the title. If you want to change it to some else just click on "Options" and then "Edit Message".

MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Buying a house with a Credit Card?

Yes, we've done it before although it was quite awhile ago. We purchased 3 properties on an old Merrill Lynch card, but this must be going back 20 years or more. In total it was about $450k for the 3, all in the same day.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 23
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

I think you would be hard pressed to do that today/

Tried buying a car with a credit card and they said no, but they would take a check.  They said I could challenge the charge with my CCC and they would be out the money.  But if I wrote a bad check that would be a felony.  Seems the same would apply for a house.  YMMV.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 3 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:
Yes, we've done it before although it was quite awhile ago. We purchased 3 properties on an old Merrill Lynch card, but this must be going back 20 years or more. In total it was about $450k for the 3, all in the same day.

Don't take this the wrong way but how would you put $450k on a Bank of America card, not sure who backed the card 20 years ago but especially 20 years ago not sure any Visa that would offer credit lines over $250k which I believe is Bank of America' current highest CL... Further more lookin at your signature line I don't see even over $20k?

Message 4 of 23
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way but how would you put $450k on a Bank of America card, not sure who backed the card 20 years ago but especially 20 years ago not sure any Visa that would offer credit lines over $250k which I believe is Bank of America' current highest CL... Further more lookin at your signature line I don't see even over $20k?

The cards I have listed are my own personal ones, while what I was talking about was for the family business. We had a special arrangement with Merrill Lynch that was pre-arranged beforehand. When you're born into the 1%, a lot of the standard rules don't apply to you. Take that for what it's worth.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 5 of 23
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

If you have about a 10k limit or so on a card, you could probably buy three or four houses in Detroit.
Message 6 of 23
ferrari
Regular Contributor

lmao I live near Detroit I just saw a nice one for $7500 the other day

Message 7 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Chris123nTx wrote:
If you have about a 10k limit or so on a card, you could probably buy three or four houses in Detroit.

Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 23
Smug
Established Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

The cards I have listed are my own personal ones, while what I was talking about was for the family business. We had a special arrangement with Merrill Lynch that was pre-arranged beforehand. When you're born into the 1%, a lot of the standard rules don't apply to you. Take that for what it's worth.
If you were Born into the 1 % you wouldn't beon FICO forurms.........👌👌👌💩
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 9 of 23
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Smug wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

If you were Born into the 1 % you wouldn't beon FICO forurms.........👌👌👌💩

You make a strong argument.

It's like hot chicks hanging out in chat rooms all day long, it just doesn't happen. Smiley Very Happy

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.