cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a merchant see my personal info after a swipe?

tag
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

Re: Can a merchant see my personal info after a swipe?

Yeah people are so nonchalant about giving any info a merchant asks for.  In this cybercrime climate, any unnecessary info is too much info.   Sometimes, it's not because of the store that is shady, it's just that they probably employ weak security protocols or have lazy security admins that make their client information base vulnerable to hacking.  

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 11 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

@Dalanar wrote:

Yeah people are so nonchalant about giving any info a merchant asks for.  In this cybercrime climate, any unnecessary info is too much info.   Sometimes, it's not because of the store that is shady, it's just that they probably employ weak security protocols or have lazy security admins that make their client information base vulnerable to hacking.  

I'm fine with providing extra information for marketing purposes, but only if I receive something in return through, such as a rewards program.  On the other hand, if I'm not provided a benefit, then I'll tell them to go pound sand.

However, I DO NOT appreciate when Stores ask for ID and assert it's for my protection.  Refusing to accept payment simply because a person refuses to show ID is a violation of Visa and MC's T&C.  In this case, whenever a merchant refuses, I offer to call my Issuer.  I've yet to have a Merchant refuse my purchase, even for GCs.

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Dalanar wrote:

I'm fine with providing extra information for marketing purposes, but only if I receive something in return through, such as a rewards program.  On the other hand, if I'm not provided a benefit, then I'll tell them to go pound sand.

However, I DO NOT appreciate when Stores ask for ID and assert it's for my protection.  Refusing to accept payment simply because a person refuses to show ID is a violation of Visa and MC's T&C.  In this case, whenever a merchant refuses, I offer to call my Issuer.  I've yet to have a Merchant refuse my purchase, even for GCs.

I don't mind showing ID to prove I'm me, but I will not allow them to take it out of my hand.

Message 13 of 24
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

I've come across stores who ask for ID if I didn't sign my card.  But if I signed it, they typically don't ask.  

Sometimes though the pressure of looking like a jerk for holding the line gets to me lol and I cave. 

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 14 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

Guys, any Merchant who requires as a condition a person to show ID while making a purchase is in direct violation of Visa/MC's T&C.  There is no ambiguity or obfuscation here.  

They may ask, but if a person refuses to show ID, they CANNOT refuse the purchase period.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is one reason I never give out my zip, email or phone number to anyone.  I don't give out my phone number ordering online, either.  If they ask for your zip prior to you swiping your card, you know it's for marketing purposes.

Every time I'm in Kmart they ask me for my phone number. I think it's annoying as hell, but sometimes I'll mess with the clerk and say something like "Why, did you want to call me for a date?"

Message 16 of 24
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

When asked for a phone number, I tend to use what ever area code I'm in + 867-5309. Even works for grocery store club membership if i don't already have their card.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Dalanar wrote:

I don't mind showing ID to prove I'm me, but I will not allow them to take it out of my hand.

I don't even take it out of my wallet. I just flip up the flap and hold it for them to read.

Message 18 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@JediNeo wrote:

When asked for a phone number, I tend to use what ever area code I'm in + 867-5309. Even works for grocery store club membership if i don't already have their card.

That's what I meant when I said that I give them "Jenny's Number"

Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Dalanar wrote:

I don't even take it out of my wallet. I just flip up the flap and hold it for them to read.

I keep mine in my wallet backwards so that won't work for me.  Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.