Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Unbelievable

tag
seruby
Frequent Contributor

Cap One Unbelievable

For the past 6 years, I had this TL on my credit report from Cap One.   Back then I had quite a few cards, but never recalled having one from Capital One.  Doesn't mean I didn't have one, just that I don't remember it, so I inquired about it, but they never responded one way or another.  Since it was on my TL, it was impacting my credit score which I was working on repairing (it was in the low 500s - irresponsible college kid at that time).  I would dispute this with the credit bureaus but it always came back "verified."

Fast forward 5 years, my credit score's in the mid 600s, from working with all the creditors to pay off what I owed them.    I get a summons from an attorney for a suit by Capital One.   I still hadn't heard from them on any of my previous inquiries.   I answer that with the debt being outside the SOL, as well as it not being my account - as I had yet to receive any proof that I did open a Capital One account.   Despite being 2 years outside the SoL, the judge ruled in favor of the plaintiff, so now I have a judgment against me for a card I don't even know is mine.  File a motion to reconsider - ends up going to the same judge who denies my motion.  So much for my semi-decent score. 

Never hear anything from the attorney or Capital One about the suit.  A year later (this year), I decide to dispute the judgment line on my report, and the capital one line.  The judgment line got removed, but the capital one did not.   This time, I sent a letter to the Comptroller of Currency about this situation.

A month later, I get a letter from Capital One saying that the account in question isn't my account and they've requested it to be removed from my credit report.   So, 6 years, a lawsuit past SoL, a judgment granted on said lawsuit, and a letter to the Comptroller of Currency is all it took to get this account removed. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Cap One Unbelievable

What evidence did Capital One present during the lawsuit that the account was yours?  In any event, glad you finally got it taken care of.  Hopefully, your score will come up nicely.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
seruby
Frequent Contributor

It didn't even to court, they got a summary judgment - which I did answer the original summons within the time frame to avoid a summary judgement, but they got one anyway.   All they had was a printed statement from online.  Like if you go to a credit card website and log in, and it shows you the information there.  That was their evidence, along with the cardmember agreement - not signed by the way. 

My score's come up quite a bit in the past few years.  I'm hoping now to be really close, if not over, 700.  All the negatives from back when are gone, and now this one is finally gone.  Everything else on my account (student loans, car payment, recent credit cards) is up to date.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is unbelievable. It makes you have zero faith in the system, to be honest with you. It blows my mind, throughout my credit battles, how unwilling companies are to help you. Sometimes you get that gem of a CSR who is having a good day and grants you what you ask for. But goodness, I have NEVER felt like any of the credit bureaus have my best interest.

I have a situation similar to your C1 experience. There was a HSBC card on my credit that was closed and delinquent for $48 60 days. Not my card. Found out it was to Helzberg Diamond. Called them, gave the CSR my social security numer, no account in my number or name. They told me to dispute it with the bureaus, so I did. Came back verified. How did they verify it? I would think that the bureau would contact the creditor, give them my information and then the creditor would send them proof that my social owes them money. How did they confirm if it they cannot confirm it to me? I disputed it again and it disappeared. I assumed it was because HSBC didn't respond.

What a waste of time.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please tell me how you did this. I have a judgement from Target/RNB bank for over $2000 for a card that was not mine. It was an ex boyfriend that lived with me that somehow got it put in my name and out of his. I tried to call them and noone would provide me with any information because "I didn't have an account" I need help to remove this. 

Message 5 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Please tell me how you did this. I have a judgement from Target/RNB bank for over $2000 for a card that was not mine. It was an ex boyfriend that lived with me that somehow got it put in my name and out of his. I tried to call them and noone would provide me with any information because "I didn't have an account" I need help to remove this. 

Hello and welcome.

Just to let you know this thread is over a year old and the poster has not been back online in that time.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am here and active. I will post how I fixed it today. Be on the lookout.
Message 7 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I am here and active. I will post how I fixed it today. Be on the lookout.

I'm glad you responded. I thought member seruby was the one being asked a question.

Message 8 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Par for the course.

They are just a rude company....rough around the edges and severly lacking in any human decency. An unthinking robot that pushes and punches to maximum and asks questions later....if at all. Kinda like a hardened former prison guard at the most dangerous prison in the country getting a job as a bouncer at some college bar. You just know his demeanor and condtioning is going to be a problem....like puttiing some kid in an arm lock and pinning him against the wall for showing a fake ID while he he starts taking out the knee caps of the the kid's friends trying to get him free. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.