Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One is quick on the draw

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One is quick on the draw

The only card we probably want in the future is the CSP. That ship has definitely sailed for now. No more cards until I trim the fat with my AF cards. Not to mention, I don't know if I could meet spend bonus right now. 1,000? Piece of cake. 2,000? For sure. 3,000? Pushing it. He would get approved for the card no doubt but we're just not taking the chance. Best to wait until all of our trips out of the way and we need another ticket.
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the Chase Freedom as my first cashback card. I plan use the card for groceries that I usually would just put on my debit card.  500 dollars in three months is easy peasy with a growing teenager in the house. Smiley Very Happy

Message 22 of 30
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Wow. i don't think im gonna make my spend. i only have about 34 days left. august 5th. and ive only charged about 900 on it. i will not spend just to spend. so good bye 40k points. but its ok. i already paid most of my bills for the month. arggg.

I admire this part because plenty of people overspend to get bonuses. So good for you Smiley Happy

You do eventually reach a point where you might as well spend.  For example if you are $50 short of getting a $200 bonus, then in this case you would still net $150 by spending the $50 that you didn't need to spend.  You really shouldn't be going for bonuses that your normal spending patterns do not support, but there is a point where it makes sense to follow through.

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, you always just buy something then pay for it with your 200 statement credit. Assuming we're talking about cashback.
Message 24 of 30
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

Yep, Capital One is definitely quick on the draw with the bonus.  I met my spend yesterday.  I logged into my account this morning and noticed that they've already added the 40K miles. Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 30
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

Yep, Capital One is definitely quick on the draw with the bonus.  I met my spend yesterday.  I logged into my account this morning and noticed that they've already added the 40K miles. Smiley Happy

Good to know! I'm $100 away from spend. When my insurance autopay hits on 5th, I'll be good to go. Excited about going to Colorado for Labor Day for free! Thanks Cap One. You are alright with me! Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Wow. i don't think im gonna make my spend. i only have about 34 days left. august 5th. and ive only charged about 900 on it. i will not spend just to spend. so good bye 40k points. but its ok. i already paid most of my bills for the month. arggg.

I admire this part because plenty of people overspend to get bonuses. So good for you Smiley Happy

You do eventually reach a point where you might as well spend.  For example if you are $50 short of getting a $200 bonus, then in this case you would still net $150 by spending the $50 that you didn't need to spend.  You really shouldn't be going for bonuses that your normal spending patterns do not support, but there is a point where it makes sense to follow through.

Right but id assume cases where its that close are pretty rare. I think plenty of people overspend when the requirement is in the 3000 range. 

Obviously its their money to waste and all I just think its crazy!

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some people don't care about spend bonuses though and just want the card. I got a CSR to give me the spend bonus on my travel rewards card when I PC'd and I didn't even meet it. I still wanted the card, doesn't change a thing. Also got the IHG card for future trips not the 3 I have planned now..and if I dont meet the spend bonus still doesn't make the card useless. I think everyone needs to look at stuff long term instead of constantly opening and closing!
Message 28 of 30
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Some people don't care about spend bonuses though and just want the card. I got a CSR to give me the spend bonus on my travel rewards card when I PC'd and I didn't even meet it. I still wanted the card, doesn't change a thing. Also got the IHG card for future trips not the 3 I have planned now..and if I dont meet the spend bonus still doesn't make the card useless. I think everyone needs to look at stuff long term instead of constantly opening and closing!

Exactly this. . I could easily make the spend if i did not have a big trip planned for asia later in the year. It has nothing to do with what one can afford to make a spend. plenty of bills to easily do it. but i also have spend requirements on other cards that is more important to me than the spend on the Venture. hence. im not going for it. 40k or not. i will be using that card however out of the country. No FTF. and visa. so accepted everywhere that amex is not. but i just don't want to spend it in the first 3 months of having card. ooh well.

Message 29 of 30
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
So Cap One will give you the points once you charge the full spend requirement even if you don't PIF, correct ???

That is correct,  or at least it was for me. 

I'm sorry. I just read my above question and realize where some confusion may have happened requiring spend requirements. My question intimates that perhaps I cannot afford the spend requirement or be able to PIF. That's not what I was trying to convey. For some reason I was under the impression that in order to reach the spend requirement and thus receive the bonus, that you had to charge the required amount AND have it PIF prior to 90 day period ending and acquiring the bonus. I was wrongly looking at this bonus as a "payment requirement" not a "spend requirement". So I was thinking I must have it PIF by 90, not have spent within 90. There goes my debit card and using cash for the past 8 year's mentality kicking in. Sorry for the confusion. After re-reading my question above, I totally understand why ops would question people signing up for card's they can't meet the spend requirements. My bad. Sorry. 😀😁😀

Don't ever be sorry for misunderstanding,  or misreading a post.  We all do it,  or have done it,  myself included,  even after being on here for over 6 years.  I still have a lot to learn.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.