Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne -- Secured to Unsecured?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne -- Secured to Unsecured?

So what is capital one's deal? My husband has had a secured card for TWO years and they have never offered to make it unsecured. Should I have him call and ask? Or how does that work? Do they ever switch them over like other banks do? He was just approved for 3k Discover and 3.7k BOFA. No idea why they haven't changed it. Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: CapOne -- Secured to Unsecured?

Generally speaking, the cap1 secured card opened before late 2015/beginning 2016 don't unsecure. The one opened after that will unsecure.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that makes sense then, he got his early 2015. Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well that makes sense then, he got his early 2015. Thank you!

That very well may be the case.  I learned awhile back not to give unsolicited advice, but you did ask.  I'll just say what I would do.  I would call, and explain what you just did here.  I dont think it could hurt, and even if you dont get the answer you want, at least you will have a definitive one.  Again, that's just what I'd do.  You'd think if they'd take a look at his reports, he now has new cards and likely higher fico(tm) scores than he did when he first applied.  I'd love to hear some good news if you call, rather than knowing he is still simmering in that secured caldron, when he should be a free man by now.  

I'd actually love to here what PIZZA1 would do on that "recon-like" call.  She is an all star, and doesnt take "no" for an answer.  That would be the other thing I did first, consult her and/or a slew of these people.  The answers tend to vary, so I find one I like and put my heart behind it.  I guess what really matters is how bad you/he wants the change.  Some may say it's not possible, but it doesnt hurt to find out in a very calculated manner.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.