Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon Visa Rewards Breakdown

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Chase Amazon Visa Rewards Breakdown

Hello My Favorite People! Smiley Happy

I have asked before I'm sure (My mind I tell you!)  Anyway, Can someone that is super good at these rewards breakdown share with me the Chase Amazon Visa Rewards vs. say our Navy Cash that is always 1% until we clear $10k/annual Charging then 1.5%... Which would be better?

After starting to see our cut backs working and the shift in our spending Amazon has been big for us in the past but I would say we are HUGE with them now...  I'll do little breakdown for you of our spending in a few categories.

Costco $200/Month - Partner has Costco Amex - Might be upgrading to Elite Membership for the 2% but unsure of his cycle and the lady that scans and tries to sell you the upgrade was not able to answer or understand the question I was asking... (How did someone get hired for that position and not understand it!!!?)

Pavilions Grocery $150/week

Trader Joes - $100 Week

Target $50

additional Grocery $50

Eating out is under $300/month now

Gas is 8nder $150/month now

and of course the Amazon category... I would say over $500/month.  I just love it, we get things in 1-2 day max, I have PRIME already and The Subscribe and Save is AMAZING.

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Amazon Visa Rewards Breakdown

Amazon gives the following rewards: 1% on everything 2% on restaurants, drugstores, and gas 3% on Amazon purchases (orders fulfilled by Amazon, but not 3rd party order fillers) I like my Amazon card, the rewards can be redeemed as statement credit, cash deposit, or as points you can use to pay for your Amazon purchases with. There are also options to redeem points for Airfare and gift cards. Overall, I love that the catagories do not rotate, and the black card design is very slick. The cashier at Dollar General gave me kudos for the card design and for it being an Amazon rewards card (if that means anything). Citi Forward gives 5% cash back at Amazon because its coded as a bookstore. Also, the forward gives good restaurant rewards, but i'm not sure of the breakdown.

Also, my Amazon card gave me a sweet BT deal.  1% BT fee and 0% interest on BTs until 12 / 2013

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Amazon gives the following rewards: 1% on everything 2% on restaurants, drugstores, and gas 3% on Amazon purchases (orders fulfilled by Amazon, but not 3rd party order fillers) I like my Amazon card, the rewards can be redeemed as statement credit, cash deposit, or as points you can use to pay for your Amazon purchases with. There are also options to redeem points for Airfare and gift cards. Overall, I love that the catagories do not rotate, and the black card design is very slick. The cashier at Dollar General gave me kudos for the card design and for it being an Amazon rewards card (if that means anything). Citi Forward gives 5% cash back at Amazon because its coded as a bookstore. Also, the forward gives good restaurant rewards, but i'm not sure of the breakdown.

Also, my Amazon card gave me a sweet BT deal.  1% BT fee and 0% interest on BTs until 12 / 2013

The breakdown of what that 3% actually translates into cash is what I'm interested in... If I remember correctly when someone did it, it actually didn't make it better but I forget the percentage... I don't wan to end up with $1 = $.25 in rewards on 3% after cash trade in or something (dramatic numbers I know!)

Message 3 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

5000 points = $ 50.00 in cash,  or $50 to use towards amazon purchases.

Very easy to redeem for cash or statement credit.   You have to wait until you have $50 in rewards saved up before you can redeem for cash.

To further illustrate:   $1500 in amazon purchases fulfilled by Amazon = 4500 points  =  $45 dollars in rewards.

FICO 9:

Message 4 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

5000 points = $ 50.00 in cash,  or $50 to use towards amazon purchases.

Very easy to redeem for cash or statement credit.   You have to wait until you have $50 in rewards saved up before you can redeem for cash.

To further illustrate:   $1500 in amazon purchases fulfilled by Amazon = 4500 points  =  $45 dollars in rewards.

That sounds better to me!!!

I would say we have less than 1 order a month that is not fulfilled by Amazon... that does count as Amazon if it's another company but Amazon handles the fulfillment of their product right?

Message 5 of 14
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

My understanding is that Chase Amazon only gives 3% on order fulfilled by Amazon, not Amazon Marketplace.

Citi Forward gives 4% to 5% on Amazon purchases (both Amazon fulfilled and Amazon Marketplace) depending on how you redeem it.

---> 4% when you use TY points to make Amazon purchase

---> 5% when you redeem it for student loan and/or mortgage rebate (some say you can have them sent the check to yourself)

---> 4% or 5% on gift card redemption (I get 5% even before having TY Preferred, while others say they need to pair Forward with another card to get 5%)

If you go for the gift card redemption, you can always use website like Plastic Jungle or Cardpool to sell it for cash. Be sure to use high value gift card like Walmart or Target.

Message 6 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I have been getting 3% on Amazon Marketplace purchases fulfilled by amazon... too bad the website is down.  I will confirm once the website is up.

For me, I don't like Citi.  I had a bad experience with a Citi Auto Loan, my husband had a bad experience with a Citi credit card account and a Citi Mortgage. 

For us, we'll never do business with Citi, but I love Chase, I've been a Chase customer since 2000.   The fact that Chase offers the amazon card makes it a no - brainer to me.   Chase Loyalty >  Citi Anything  in my book.

FICO 9:

Message 7 of 14
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

To me Citi Forward always beats Chase Freedom. Casting reward aside, there is also the fact that,

1. Continuous 0% offer

Citi offers 0% offer on BT and purchase continuously so long as you pay the bill on time. Chase on the otherhand only offers 0% APR as a one-time deal.

2. Virtual account number

3. Cellphone insurance up to $250 (requires $50 co-payment)

4. Early access to entertainment ticket

5. Better extended warranty

Most Visa Platinum goes with extra 1 year of warranty on top of manufactuer's warranty that is 12 months or less. Citi Forward goes with 36 months or less instead.

Message 8 of 14
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I have been getting 3% on Amazon Marketplace purchases fulfilled by amazon... too bad the website is down.  I will confirm once the website is up.

For me, I don't like Citi.  I had a bad experience with a Citi Auto Loan, my husband had a bad experience with a Citi credit card account and a Citi Mortgage. 

For us, we'll never do business with Citi, but I love Chase, I've been a Chase customer since 2000.   The fact that Chase offers the amazon card makes it a no - brainer to me.   Chase Loyalty >  Citi Anything  in my book.

Yes, anything that goes through the Amazon check out process (and uses the card of course!) seems to get 3%, Market place or not.  The only real difference I have seem between Amazon and Market place is that often Prime shipping isn't available from Market place, sometimes negating a slightly cheaper price.

Travel offered some enhanced value, can't find the details on the site now, but it was something like 50K for a trip to Europe with a max value of $650.   So slightly more than 1c per point.

Message 9 of 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

They recently changed the Amazon rewards redemption options. You can now have the rewards directly deposited into a Chase chequing account if you have one. They also reduced the redemption minimum from 5000 points to 2000 points.

The 3% works on all purchases that are placed on Amazon.com. If you buy from an individual who is selling on Amazon and do not get the points, ring Chase and let them know. This happened to me once and I received the missing points in a few days.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.