cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom denied my dispute. I didn't think that would happen. Returned a puppy.

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Chase Freedom denied my dispute. I didn't think that would happen. Returned a puppy.

I've disputed twice with Amex for various reasons and had my money refunded the next day. This time I disputed $150 on something I purchased and returned on my Chase Freedom card and they denied it because "these are non-refundable fees charged by the store. If you would like to persue a refund, we suggest you contact the seller".

A little background info. I bought a puppy from a puppystore.  It cost me close to $1000. I bought it because I wanted a good watchdog, and they said it would bark a lot when someone knocked on the door. So, that night I decided to test the puppy, and I ordered a pizza. The pizza guy came and knocked loudly. The dog didn't do anything. Since it failed, I decided to return it the next day. 

The guy at the store didn't even know how to process the animal return as no one had ever done it before. He calls corporate and says I have to pay a $150 administration fee. I immediately felt happy I put it on my credit card so I wouldn't have to pay that BS, made up fee. 

Lo and behold, Chase sticks it to me. So long story short, while Chase Freedom is an awesome cash back card, if you are making a questionable purchase, use an Amex. They don't hesitate to credit your account.

Here we go again...
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom denied my dispute. I didn't think that would happen. Returned a puppy.

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

The guy at the store didn't even know how to process the animal return as no one had ever done it before. He calls corporate and says I have to pay a $150 administration fee. I immediately felt happy I put it on my credit card so I wouldn't have to pay that BS, made up fee.

Okay, this is what **I** would do. Go back to the pet store, and, being as inconspicious as possible, take photos of whatever signage is at the cashier/check-out desk.

Unless there's a sign specifically stating in FULL view of the customer at the TIME and PLACE of purchase, they can't charge a "admin fee" on returns. If there isn't a sign detailing that "admin policy," you can cite them on that and possible sue them in small claims court.

At the VERY least, you can holler at the local news and give them bad publicity. 

Now, the exact statute regarding returns and procedures of such vary by state, but AFAIK, all states have consumer laws such as what I've mentioned. AFAIK, all states require the return policy to be stated clearly, legibly, and prominently at the point of purchase.

I run a graphic design business and I meet clients at local restaraunts (usually) and despite the fact that I entertain no clients in my dungeon-y little office, by state law, I have to have a "return policy" featured prominently over my desk. Go figger. 

Message 2 of 53
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom denied my dispute. I didn't think that would happen. Returned a puppy.

up until most puppies are one year old their personality is still developing and changing.  it can sometimes takes several weeks/months for one to adjust to a new environment and develop a territorial bark, not one day! Smiley Sad  Hope Chase will ultimately cooperate with you on the return.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:
up until most puppies are one year old their personality is still developing and changing. it can sometimes takes several weeks/months for one to adjust to a new environment and develop a territorial bark, not one day! Smiley Sad Hope Chase will ultimately cooperate with you on the return.

True. Our Fur-Butt didn't bark one single time until he'd been with us for two months. Even then, he barked because another dog visited, not because of a human visit!

Now, we can't get him to hush up! xD

Also, since s/he's just a puppy, s/he might be looking to their new owner for protection and will be willing for the owner to be the "barker."

Edited 'cause I couldn't get the stupid smiley right!
Message Edited by Wonderin on 10-24-2008 10:30 AM
Message 4 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonderin, I am a graphic designer as well. I also dabble in some CAD work on the side.

Now, to the OP... Why would you buy a puppy for a guard dog? I have always owned German Shepherds, and they don't start barking until they have been in the house at least a few weeks to a month. Also, the puppies I have had don't scare anyone, they are too cute and small. Its the big dogs that frighten the sh   it out of people. If you want a guard dog don't buy a puppy. Try your local German Shepherd Rescue or even the local Humane Society. Get a full grown dog, and wait a week or two, it'll bark. And when a shepherd barks, the whole neighborhood knows.

Message 5 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wonderin, I am a graphic designer as well. I also dabble in some CAD work on the side.

CAD? Yikes!! I just use plain ol' Illy ... anything more complicated gives me hives!!!

Seriously, kudos BIG-time ... CAD is just .... HARD!!!!

I've been trying to get my poor wee brain to understand CSS and HTML. So far, they refuse to play nice with me.

Last I checked, they were pelting my brain with spitballs and giving it atomic-wedgies. :/

Message 6 of 53
lisac
Regular Contributor

i am also the proud parent of a german shepherd, and she didn't "get her barker going" for some time.  but in the 8 eight years she's allowed us to support her...  she will bark at passing cars, mail man, children walking on the side walk.  don't even think about going near the house. because you would think my 50 pound little girl was a 150 pound monster.
Message 7 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lisac wrote:
i am also the proud parent of a german shepherd, and she didn't "get her barker going" for some time. but in the 8 eight years she's allowed us to support her... she will bark at passing cars, mail man, children walking on the side walk. don't even think about going near the house. because you would think my 50 pound little girl was a 150 pound monster.

Ours is a 70lb Black Lab mix (part Alaskan, part Beagle, part Chow and part chicken) and he barks at EVERYTHING. If it moves -- or even just thinks about moving -- he's barking fit to deafen us all.

People think our Fur-Butt's a monster, too. But in RL, he's terrified of leaves (blowing on the wind), plastic bags (also blowing on the wind) and BBQ covers. But he has "treed" several snakes (cottonmouths) under cars in the past. :/
Message 8 of 53
lisac
Regular Contributor

wonderin, i was drinking tea when i read your post. almost sprayed the screen laughing.  part chicken!  she's the same way.  bares the teeth, barks like crazy at lightening like she wants to kill it, but if i yell at the son for something, she shakes and climbs in my lap or hides behind the couch.  please tell his name is not Fur-Butt. 
Message 9 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

That poor puppy. He was totally freaked out, going from the crappy environment of a puppy mill/store to a brand new house, and you took him back because he didn't perform on command? Ugh.

If you're going to adopt a pet, please, PLEASE consider your local shelter or at the very least a reputable breeder. Dogs (and all animals) are animals with emotions and personalities, and the capacity to bond with people and become part of your family - not commodities to be traded on a whim.

Message 10 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.