Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Rate Jack

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Chase Rate Jack

I guess I should be happy they didn't CLD me for a second time but this is almost as bad.

old rate = 9.49

new rate = 20.49

Thanks Chase 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Rate Jack

Sorry. That's nasty.

But it is better than a CLD.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got off of the phone with them because they did the same thing to my wife and I.  I asked them what is the incentive to stay with a company at loan shark rates instead of just going out and getting a lower interest card that offers low rates for signing up?  I guess they don't care about customer retention.  Chase and all credit card companies are evil.

Message 3 of 8
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

Heck I would take the hit and close them your already in the pile stack to mess with next you'll be cld or getting an annual fee.

Message 4 of 8
creditninja9000
Regular Contributor

Yeah same thing happened to me. I noticed the new APR and called they told me I could still opt out via an extended grace period, if I decided within two days, as that's when the period expired. Remember this, I talked to 3 people within the 2 day period who all said I could opt out. I decided to opt out, come to find out the next statement, the APR is still in effect and my card was now closed. I called back with the WTH response and was told I didn't opt out by the date on the letter was sent (the letter I actually never received), I explained I never got a letter about this. I was told it came with my statement, I said I'm paperless, I was told I got an email, I never got the email. So it was a bunch of talking in circles and in the end she told me I missed the date and I said I would try calling back or could I speak to someone else. Her response? Everyone will tell you the same thing. My response? Oh really? If that's the case why did three people all tell me I still had the option to opt out? No response.

End result, my account's still closed, APR still 20% and I will avoid banking with Chase as much as possible. The real kicker is they just gave my bro who just turned 18 a Slate card with 5K ( I think because he was an authroized user on some of my accounts then I removed him once he turned 18). So it's pretty obvious they're setting up debt traps, stepping all over current customer and creating knew ones to suck into the black hole of doom Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 8
thedaveytrain
Valued Member

I spent an hour on the phone with three Chase reps this morning talking about the 9.92% to 19.74% ratejack they are giving me. I was told there was nothing they could do and my only option is to close the card, and when I told her that they were able to keep another card open with no increase one of them called me a liar and hung up on me. I told the last person I talked to that I am more than willing to close all 5 of my Chase cards and no longer do any business with them, (I already moved my other banking to a CU after they took over WAMU) and she said she didn't blame me, she has Chase cards too and is being ratejacked. I don't know if that's true or if she was just trying to shut me up, but when I asked again if Chase cared about losing 5 accounts she said no, they don't.

At least she was honest.

01/25/10 - TU 709, EQ 729, EX 705
Message 6 of 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Likely right on both counts:

1) The rep probably does have Chase credit products and is probably being RJ'ed. CSR's are people, too! (There's really no point in feeding you a line about this.)

2) Chase probably doesn't care how many accounts they lose.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed did the same thing to me that Chase did to you! arrgh!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.