Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase makes another changes!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase makes another changes!!

I received my letter today that detailed the new changes for Chase Freedom and for those with checking as well. Apparently this has been in the works since early last summer.(Googled Ultimate Rewards trying to find more info) They intend on completely getting rid of the Freedom card as we know it. The bonus $50 for $200 will no longer be available. Earn 1 point for every $1 spent every day, everywhere, on all purchases with no caps or expiration dates. Chase checking customers will earn 10% extra points on every purchase dollar you spend plus 10 bonus points every time you use your card for a purchase. Those wanting to stay at 3% will be converted to an AF card $30. They already have the new website up and running for this new program. The site is www.chase.com/tour for those wanting to check it out. I'm not sure how to feel about this because this was my first rewards card. For those who have had both types of cards, is this point system better than the 3% cash back?

On the brighter side, at least I have another $250 check on the way Smiley Happy

AD 

Message 11 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hey, bunnyrabbit, good to hear from you again!

I had a Borders Visa card that they discontinued, and they switched me to a Freedom. They said that I would get the 3% categories, along with Ultimate Rewards, whoopty-do, but I have yet to get the 3%, despite numerous promises. The latest version is that I have to spend a lot more. OK, I'm doing that in February and March. If they then don't make it a true Freedom card, it's shredder time. I'm trying to simplify my life, not jump through hoops to please a bank.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Romeoo47 wrote:

bunnyrabbit, i received my letter earlier this week.  However, I don't have the Starbucks Duetto Visa card.  I have the Chase Freedom card.  I received the notice that they were changing my rewards from 3% cashback in my Top 3 to 5% in rotating categories (like Discover More).  I'm not sure if I'm one of the few people that are not happy about the change.  According to my letter, the changes are effective March 31, 2010.  Also, the letter stated they are discontinuing the reward of an extra $50 when you reach $200 in cashback.  So you would receive a $250 check. 

NOOOOO!!  REALLYYYY???   Smiley Sad     I may have to think to apply for a New Freedom Card with 10/10. 

My problem with the new reward program is 1) I don't get to chose the categories where I get the most cashback, 2) you have to sign up for the 5% categories like Discover, 3) I'm almost certain they will be caps on the 5% categories, and 4) I don't get the extra $50 cashback when I reach $200.  I think the new program is step down from what the old Chase Freedom offered. 

OK, I found the information regarding this changes at

http://www.interestingmoney.com/2009/05/12/chase-freedom-card-turns-into-discover/

Continue to redeem for checks, which now start at $50.

Note: The $50 bonus when redeeming $200 in Cash Back Rewards will no longer be available

after June 30th.

Woo, I better hurry-up to reach $200 and redeem it before June 30th.  I have about 4 months left.

Message Edited by bunnyrabbit on 02-20-2010 11:24 PM
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@YoungEntrepeneur wrote:
Bunnyrabbit, Chase stopped consolidating accounts some time last year.

Whaaaaat??????
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, I have not seen or heard of the new 5% rotating CHASE categories until seeing this post. 

Does anyone still have the 3% top SIX categories Freedom?

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi bunnyrabbit!  I just received my letter today:

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting post.  Can you post the categories that are rotating for the 5% please?

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

chase freedom = discover more  

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

So am I only one who received the letter about converting to points? Seeing all these other offers is making me more confused.  

AD  

Message 19 of 25
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I have Starbucks / chase visa card and I received the same letter last week. I think I am going to ask them to change my card to Sapphire or Slate. I like the design of those cards. I am not sure how they differ in rewards comparing to freedom card. I was told I would be getting my new Freedom card some time in April. There is still plenty of time to Drink some of the best Coffee from StarBucks.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.