Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC change to Visa?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi DC change to Visa?

I recently picked up a Citi Double Cash WMC.  I was wondering if I could get it changed over to the Visa network, since I don't have any Visas and shop at Costco.  Has anyone had any experience with this?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Citi DC change to Visa?

Don't think it's possible. You can't just change a card to whatever network you want. I haven't heard of them offering a Visa version unfortunately.
Message 2 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Not available at this time.  Strictly MC for the time being.  You're welcome to contact them to check (in the event anything changed recently) but it's doubtful.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, I called and was told they can't do it... But I've seen on this forum people with PC'd cards that were allowed to stay on the Visa network?

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

The DC isn't offered as a visa, and I don't think payment network is the kind of thing lenders would make an exception for.
Message 5 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:
Don't think it's possible. You can't just change a card to whatever network you want. I haven't heard of them offering a Visa version unfortunately.

kdm - it appears most of your posts ooze "absolutes" which are inacurate at best.

For the record Citi DOES change networks, it just depends on the type of card.  Just like some folks didn't think WEMC was possible with this specific card.  Also, Citi Premier can be changed from Visa Signature, WEMC or AMEX.  My Citi TY Premier changed from Visa Signature to WEMC and to AMEX - two of those were by my request and granted.  Other folks have also shared the same experience for products like Citi Dividend (which used to be Visa) and can also be changed to MC/WMC/WEMC and AMEX.

I would suggest before you start throwing absolutes, to become more informed or learn from other posters so that information can be shared more acurately.

Message 6 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
The DC isn't offered as a visa, and I don't think payment network is the kind of thing lenders would make an exception for.

Again, inacurate information.  It depends on the lender and the networks that are available for specific products.  I'll throw BoA for example, in addition to Citi.  Capital One (although rare) can also do the same, it just depends on the situation.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good thing you said the same thing twice or I wouldn't have understood your argument. Point taken.
Message 8 of 21
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yes, it can and does happen.

My point is its not as simple as arbitrarily deciding which network you want, calling and telling the lender, and they switch it for you. Cards run on certain networks, you can't just pick whichever you want. Sure, you can sometimes accomplish it and you can always try. But it's not as simple as just "switching it" and that's my point. You also cannot pick whichever network you want. You can't get a Discover based Double Cash for example

You have knowledge and opinions, so do I. Nobody knows everything and you come across as though you feel you do. There are no ultimate truths with this. It's experience and half the time luck as to what a lender is willing to do for you. That's all I'll say about it. As the above poster said, you repeated yourself twice and we get it.
Message 9 of 21
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Good thing you said the same thing twice or I wouldn't have understood your argument. Point taken.

Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.