cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward app declined - is it worth to try again ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Forward app declined - is it worth to try again ?

Hello everyone, this is a great forum, I've been reading it for a while so now I decided to actually take part in discussions as well..

Here is my situation - I started using credit cards a year ago and right now I have Capital One Platinum (no rewards), a Sears store card, Zync, Discover More and Blue Cash Everyday.

I really dislike the Capital One card especially since they refused to upgrade it for me as I really have no benefits using it. So I decided I needed another Visa or a Mastercard in my wallet just in case Amex or Discover would not be accepted somewhere.

I applied for a Citi Forward since a) it's a Visa; b) I am a Citi customer and c) I like the rewards categories. 

I received a letter stating I was declined because of a limited credit history. I called 5 different numbers to explain the situation and ask what an acceptable credit history was (I have all those cards and keep utilization at less than 5% currently, have always paid on time and most of the time in full and my score is over 700..) and did not get a single answer that made any sense. I called those backdoor numbers as well - none helped at all.

So what do you guys think I should do at this moment? After getting approved for all those cards and declined by Citi I feel a little bad, especially since I could really use a Visa..

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Forward app declined - is it worth to try again ?

You don't have much credit history.  You need to give it some time. You just started using credit cards and in a year have five new accounts.  Wait at least 6 months, maybe a year and then try again. 

It's nothing to feel bad about, you just don't have a very long history.  Score isn't everything.  Score means a little less with a person that has a thin (short) credit file.  Yes, you've always paid your bills on time, but you've only been paying them for a few months.  As you continue to show responsible behavior, you'll be able to get additional cards.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

True. And a couple of those cards that I have now are not bad at all, when I think about it I should actually be thankful for I got what I got Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Agreed, you have some good cards but that seems like a lot of new accounts in such a short period, patience is a virtue, I'm still learning that... haha.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm about in the same shoes as you're. I ditched cap1 platinum last month after they refuse to PC mine to reward card.

I have Zync but don't use it much after having fidelity amex. How long is your credit history? When is your first credit card open?

I asked because I got denied for Blue cash everyday a while ago and plan to apply again next year but I'm not sure

if my history of 1 year right now will be long enough for amex.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score was in the mid-high 700's when I tried to get my first cell phone. They wanted a 500 deposit because I was a credit risk due to my short history. I was a bit insulted too. I guess it's just one of those things you have to deal with when you're young. But if you take care of your credit, you'll never have to worry about it again.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I opened my Capital One card (my first card ever) in August 2010. I am gonna give them a call after my next statement is ready and if they can't work something out I might ditch it. I can swear I saw there was an anual fee on it after the first year but all of their representatives claim there is no upcoming annual fee. We'll see.

I also have a savings account with Amex and they have been great to me so far, I will treat them great as well.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.