Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card

Hello, I am going to be in the market for a credit card - currently, I have zero open credit card accounts...

When applying what will they look at in me to give me the best rates... Do they look at all 3 reports or only Experian? I am in the NYC area...

If I have had a card previously and had a late payment, will they hold it against me?  Thanks

Current Fico Scores - pulled by mortgage lender today

Experian 668

Equifax  733

Transunion 775

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

Re: Credit Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I am going to be in the market for a credit card - currently, I have zero open credit card accounts...

When applying what will they look at in me to give me the best rates... Do they look at all 3 reports or only Experian? I am in the NYC area...

If I have had a card previously and had a late payment, will they hold it against me?  Thanks

Experian 668

Equifax  733

Transunion 775

Your scores, and your history (which will make it tougher since you don't currently have accounts) mostly. Since you don't have history right now, and no baddies apparently, you may be declined for some top tier cards and need to do a recon. Citi for example requires that you have an open revolving credit line with a balance on it to approve you so don't waste an inquiry on them. Barclays will decline you but you can get recon'd I'm sure.

AMEX is probably a waste as well until you get 6 months or so of revolving accounts. You should be able to get prime cards, but I would avoid Chase/Amex/Citi until you have some history. Apply with Barclay's and recon, or anything GE, or (choke) Cap one Prime and put up with them for 6 months before you move on.

Just what I would suggest based on what you said I hope it helps.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thank you.  I have a history but with closed accounts, I have a 30 day late on HSBC (closed account) which I am trying to remove, and also two 30 days late in 2008 on a closed Cap One account.  

I am an authorized user on a Chase Freedom which is open revolving, not sure if they look at that....

And as far as, it seems like Experian is the bureau in my area that is always getting the hard inquiries... should I wait till I get this score higher - it is my lowest one...

at 668

thanks!

Message 3 of 5
Guava
Established Contributor

How long ago were your 30-day lates? If it's ~5 yrs then their negative effect on your score are pretty negligible now. Being an AU on the Chase Freedom does help your case (if the Freedom account is clean of baddies), it also gives you some history.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Experian 668

Equifax  733

Transunion 775

I would try for a unsecured Cap1 card, or if you have a local CU try them.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.