Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Service - AMEX vs Discover

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Re: Customer Service - AMEX vs Discover

id say chase is pretty good too. i always get perfect reception with them and their reps speak with a clear, and crisp sounding voice.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd go with Amex with service. The service they provide has always been excellent! Discover is also good but my experiences with them has always been average. So far I've had great experiences with Chase specially with the sapphire preferred since that has a direct line.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had dealt with both AmEx and Discover customer service. AmEx customer service was honest and very helpful to resolve my request. Discover made my problem worse with prejudgment and lie.

When I was moving to another city, I used IP relay service to call Discover (as a hard hearing person, IP relay was the only communication method for me with Discover) and required an address change. Suddenly Discover representative hanged up and then locked my account. As a consequence, I could not make a payment online.

I immediately contacted their security department to verify my identity. They wanted to call back and continue the verification process. I informed them that I couldn’t hear sound so I couldn’t communicate without IP Relay. The representative insisted that their record showed they had spoken to the cardholder so they would still go ahead and call back. That was an obvious lie on a deaf person who couldn’t talk through phone.

The second time I called and informed them about my deaf situation, instead of offering an alternative solution, Discover just hanged up disrespectfully.

Compared to Amex who handled my situation beautifully, Discover customer service has no class.

Message 13 of 19
smc733
Valued Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

discover (dfs) customer service is hands down. amex is elegant in their service, but can be a bit superficial at times. however, not having pending transactions that float too long, 100 dollar floats on gas purchases, low caps, inability to use more than one checking/saving account to pull from, .25 percent cash back on any purchase, conservative cli's that eventually require hard pulls, etc. so amex seems to be the best overall.

I wish myFICO had a like button.

I've actually found the gas float to be only on Amex, NOT on Discover.  But charges do take FOREVER to post from pending on Discover, Amex is so much faster.  The .25 cash back is the real killer, though.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 14 of 19
littlesister
Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:

I have both cards. I use AMEX over Discover. AMEX is always happy to say they have the best CS. I don't think so at all. The CSR's sometimes are not helpful and give inaccurate information such as the Zync is the hardest of the cards to get. Discover, on the other hand, the few times I've called (to activate my new card, and to request a new card since my got sun damaged) they were excellent. Stellar compared to AMEX. I love Discover just wish they would have better CLs and CLIs! Any thoughts or experiences?

PS I hate the stupid beeping on the line with AMEX. I know it's recorded but Geeze...

I have had great experiances with them both , but like you, I wish Discover was nicer on the cli..!  Thats okay  though as long as they take care of the important things

and have my back. Thats what really counts !!!

Message 15 of 19
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I have found AMEX to be pretty good compared to some credit card companies I have dealt with over the years. Direct Merchants Bank, which I believe is now part of HSBC, was the absolute worst. Capital One was hit-or-miss. AMEX definitely has some language barrier issues but I figured out how to get around those. One thing I appreciate is that while a lot of the initial reps I might speak to when I call in may not be empowered or equipped to resolve my issue, they do all the re-explaining to the next person up the pipeline, often without me having to wait on hold. On several occasions they've done the heavy lifting and called me back to confirm resolution. I appreciate that.

I haven't had a Discover since I IIB'd them in 2002 but am considering reapplying within a few months.

By far the best credit card issuer I've worked with has been BB&T.  Great card with low APR and no AF, good initial CL, but online account services are very limited so I do need to call a little more often than I probably should.  Their US (North Carolina?) based reps are amazing.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my own personal exeprience, I have to say that Discover has on one of the best customer service reps. I always get my stuff resolved, the people are super friendly.  I  noticed that in order to work in a Discover call center you need to have a degree to be considred to work for them. I was looking at a position that they have open a couple months ago in my area. The pay is decent for a customer service position. Regardless, I love Discover. 

Message 17 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Well I now have both, and hope to get excellent CS from both!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both are great, but I do have to give a slight nod to Discover.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.